Title for Diggnation videocast
|Hosted by||Alex Albrecht|
|Genre||Video podcast (audio version available)|
|Updates||Wednesday 12:00 am EST|
|Length||20 minutes - 1 hour|
|Video format||QuickTime, Flash, WMV, Xvid|
|Original release||July 1, 2005 – January 18, 2012|
Diggnation was Revision3's flagship video podcast produced weekly. It was hosted by Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht, who had previously hosted TechTV's The Screen Savers together. Its main purpose was to discuss some of the top stories from Digg, the social news and bookmarking website developed by Rose and others. The first episode "aired" online on July 1, 2005. The format of the show usually involved Rose and Albrecht reviewing beverages, mostly beer, but occasionally tea, coffee, hard liquors like Vodka or Whisky at the opening of the show, which they consumed throughout the show, followed by them discussing various Digg stories from the previous week, with often off-topic banter with each other and with producer David Prager and camera operator Glenn McElhose. Both audio and video versions of the podcast are available from Revision3 for streaming or downloading in various formats.
A spin-off show, The Digg Reel ran from January 2008 to September 2010, and was originally hosted by Jessica Corbin, followed by Andrew Bancroft. The show featured the week's top user submitted videos in comparison to Diggnation's primary focus on news articles. Both were produced by Revision3.
On October 13, 2017, Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht announced and released a "light Diggnation reunion" under the title of "Talking Tech", released within Kevin Rose's "Kevin Rose Show" podcast. In the episode, Alex and Kevin confirmed new episodes of "Talking Tech" will be released every 4 to 5 episodes of the "Kevin Rose Show."
The show begins immediately with a short listing of the podcast's current sponsors, and is usually followed by a humorous fake advertisement (i.e. Bose's Noise Enhancing Headphones, "Days of our Prager", Cougars: Aged to Perfection, etc.). After the title video, the hosts introduce themselves, tell the viewers where they are filming from, make any relevant announcements, and discuss the drinks they will have during the episode. The beer tasting and beverage aspect of Diggnation is one of the show's unique aspects. The majority of the episode is dedicated to the discussion of news items as well as personal commentary, anecdotes and unrelated banter. The show's humor is generally somewhat vulgar, often due to considerable intoxication. At the end of the show, Rose and Albrecht mention their sponsors once again in a longer advertisement spot, read e-mail from fans, then conclude the show with a seemingly ad libbed phrase or saying. Starting with more recent episodes, larger Digg stories (typically the weeks big news) are discussed after the ads, but before the emails. This is keeping in line with most other Revision3 shows.
Diggnation episodes were released weekly on Wednesdays at 6 PM (EST). Previously, the show was released on Friday at the same time for paid members, and Sunday at 12:01 for everyone. There were an estimated 250,000 regular subscribers to the show during its peak. BitGravity handles iTunes and TiVo subscribers, downloads from the website, and RSS feeds. Virgin America airlines also offers on-demand episodes available on the in flight entertainment systems (along with other Revision3 shows). Repeats, edited for content, time and profanity, are also seen on the cable network Youtoo TV as part of Revision3's contract with that network.
Diggnation occasionally hosted live shows. These shows have been hosted at CES, SXSW, Reno, Macworld, San Francisco, E3, San Diego, Hollywood, London, St. Louis, Amsterdam, San Francisco, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and New York City. The final live show was the Diggnation finale held on December 30, 2011 at The Music Box in Hollywood, CA.
David Prager suggested to name the Digg website "Diggnation". Rose decided on the simpler Digg instead. Rose subsequently chose Diggnation as the name of the podcast.
Although hosting duties were typically split solely between Kevin and Alex, a few "third-chair" guests were invited onto the program:
- Episodes 185 + 251: Jimmy Fallon from Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
- Episode 220: Adam Savage from MythBusters
- Episode 231: John Hodgman
In addition, though not officially invited to join in on stories, other guests included To Catch A Predator's Chris Hansen, Adam Carolla, Ashton Kutcher, WWE Diva and Go Daddy Girl Candice Michelle, Gary Vaynerchuk, Rachel Maddow, Leo Laporte, director Robert Rodriguez and Tony Hawk.
- 2006: Podcast Award for best technology podcast.
- 2007: Best in 2007 Podcast from iTunes.
- 2008: People's Voice Winner for the Technology in Online Film and Video at the Webby Awards.
- 2009: Streamy Award for Best Hosted Web Series (nomination)
- 2010: Streamy Award for Best Hosted Web Series (won)
- Soto, Eden. "Eden Soto - Motion + Design". www.edensoto.com.
- Stelter, Brian (3 October 2011). "'Diggnation,' Popular Web Talk Show, to End in December" – via NYTimes.com.
- Diggnation Retirement Archived 2011-10-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Albrecht, Alex. "Had a blast doing a light Diggnation reunion with my old partner in crime @kevinrose.. check it out here www.kevinrose.com/single-post/alex-talking-tech-1 …".
- "The Kevin Rose Show". The Kevin Rose Show.
- Revision3 > Diggnation Finale Archived 2012-01-17 at the Wayback Machine
- "Revision3 > Diggnation > Episode 185: High Fives with Jimmy Fallon! - Kevin Rose, Alex Albrecht, digg.com". 10 April 2010. Archived from the original on 10 April 2010.
- "Jimmy Fallon Visits From The Future! - Diggnation". 23 April 2010. Archived from the original on 23 April 2010.
- "Revision3 > Diggnation > Episode 220: Mythnation! - Diggnation, Digg, Marvel". 22 September 2009. Archived from the original on 22 September 2009.
- "Revision3 > Diggnation > Episode 231: Hi, I'm John Hodgman and I'm a Mac - r2-d2 in star trek, Star Wars, Star Trek". 6 April 2010. Archived from the original on 6 April 2010.
- Axon, Samuel. "Streamy Awards 2010: Here Are the Winners".
Media related to Diggnation at Wikimedia Commons