Disabled sports in Australia
Disability sports in Australia is the component of sports in Australia encompasses disabled sports programs for Australians with a disability, including physical and intellectual disabilities, allowing for the full participation in society. As with abled-body sports, these programs include child development, rehabilitation, recreation and competition at all levels.
Australian participation in disability sports is lower than in able bodied sports.
The government created a programme called "Aussie Able" to encourage people with disabilities to become involved in sport.
Public funding for disability sport focuses on the Paralympics and the Australian Paralympic Committee who have a 'Talent Search' program to provide support for potential candidates seeking to enter elite disability sports.
Australia's participation at the Paralympics has included sending delegations to the Summer Paralympics since the first games in 1960, and to the Winter Paralympics since 1980.
- 1895: First interstate Deaf cricket match between South Australia and Victoria
- 1954: Australian Deaf Sports Federation was established
- 1960: Australia at the 1960 Summer Paralympics win three gold medals
- 1977: 2nd FESPIC Games held in Merrylands, Sydney
- 1988: National Wheelchair Basketball League was established
- 2000: 2000 Summer Paralympics, Sydney
- 2003: Australian Athletes with a Disability (AAWD) established at the request of the Australian Sports Commission
- 2009 Crawford Report, titled The Future of Australian Sport
- 2012: National Disability Insurance Scheme pilot
- 2013: United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Committee review of Australia’s performance
- "Beyond the Paralympics: where to for disability sport in Australia?". theconversation.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Persons with Disability and Sport". ausport.gov.au. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "History". deafsports.org.au. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Australian Athletes with a Disability - History". sports.org.au. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Sport". dircsa.org.au. Retrieved 4 January 2015.