|Directed by||Vi Anand|
|Produced by||Ram Talluri|
|Written by||Vi Anand|
Abburi Ravi (dialogues)
|Music by||S. Thaman|
|Edited by||Shravan Katikaneni|
|Distributed by||T-Series Films|
Disco Raja is a 2020 Indian Telugu-language science fiction action film directed by Vi Anand and produced by Ram Talluri under SRT Entertainments banner. It stars Ravi Teja in a dual role along with Payal Rajput, Nabha Natesh, Tanya Hope, Bobby Simha, Sunil, and Vennela Kishore. The music is composed by S. Thaman with cinematography by Karthik Ghattamaneni and editing by Shravan Katikaneni. In the film, a new scientific discovery is used by a group of scientists to reanimate a murdered man with a violent past.
Disco Raja was released theatrically on 24 January 2020, receiving mixed reviews from critics. Despite praise for Teja's performance and Thaman's music, the film became a commercial failure. Due to the disappointing box office performance, Teja decided not to experiment with his roles in the future, and plans for a sequel were also canceled.
A brutally attacked man left for dead in the mountain ranges of Ladakh is found frozen by an expedition team. He is taken to the Re-Live lab, where Dr. Shishir introduces a technology that can revive dead people to Dr. Parineeti and her colleague Phalguni. Following the experiment, the subject wakes up but with no memory of his past. On the other hand, his girlfriend Nabha explains to a loan officer that he, Vasu, handled multiple professions from day to night, during which she fell for him. While searching for his stepbrother Kaushik who snatched the family's money, Vasu found him but never returned. She also reveals that Vasu's family members are actually orphans who came to live together. Back to the lab, Vasu escapes using Parineeti's card but is recaptured after he faints due to being exposed to heavy lighting. Parineeti then explains that he was killed by someone and revived by the doctors. However, Parineeti is adamant about making Vasu revive his memories, and retrieves a commodity found with his corpse, giving it to Phalguni for servicing.
In an attempt to gain the attention of those who remember him, Vasu thrashes a minister, and the video goes viral following his arrest. An aged gangster named Burma Sethu is surprised to find him alive and sends his men to pick him from the police station with the help of Laalu Sastry's group. The goons group take away Vasu, his brother, and the doctors. Circumstances force Phalguni to throw out Vasu's package given by Parineeti, and Vasu picks up the package to find a music player and headphones. Listening to the music, his memories are revived. He fights off the henchmen, revealing himself to be Disco Raj; this information also reaches to Sethu by Laalu Sastry. Shishir explains that Raj's actual age is 70 as he was frozen for 35 years; he is possibly not Vasu. Raj takes Phalguni along with him on a quest to rediscover his identity. In the hospital, an injured Shishir explains to Sethu about Raj's revival. Raj visits the Madras Bar founded by him, where a friend explains how Raj used to be a music-loving gangster at loggerheads with Sethu, a rival gangster whose refusal to collaborate sparked a gang war. Both parties killed each other's members, but Raj succeeded in getting Sethu arrested for life. Raj also fell for a deaf and mute girl named Helen, who initially declined but eventually reciprocated. When she got pregnant before marriage, Raj married her, faked his own death and left behind his gang. However, Sethu was freed from prison and vengefully killed Raj's gang members. Raj and Helen were also attacked in Ladakh, but Raj managed to send Helen away in a truck before himself getting killed.
On the other hand, a police officer who has rescued Vasu and told him about Raj, his father, tells him to murder him for killing Helen. Arriving at the spot, Raj and Phalguni are attacked by Vasu, who questions Raj about Helen's murder. Raj denies killing her and gets into a fight with Sethu. A stabbed Sethu reveals he did not get Raj killed in Ladakh, and he came after him to avenge his wife's murder. Raj denies killing her and realizing the truth, shoots the police officer who had not just brainwashed Vasu but also sent goons to kill Vasu's family. Seeing the photo of the officer's dead corpse, the goons retreat. Raj and Phalguni discover that a man named Anthony Das gave the cop orders to kill them, and along with Vasu, hold Anthony's men on gunpoint, before Anthony, revealed to be Raj's gang member Uttar Kumar (Sunil), shoots Raj. He reveals that he killed Sethu's wife and got the latter to kill Raj's gang. He even faked his own death and was one of the men who stabbed Raj in Ladakh. However, Raj, Vasu, and Phalguni together fight off and kill the goons. Raj kills Anthony, and himself succumbs to the injuries. Returning to Delhi, Vasu pays his family's loan with the help of Kaushik and reconciles with Nabha. At the end, Raj is brought back to life once again by the doctors, while Sethu and Anthony are also recovering in the lab.
- Ravi Teja as Disco Raj / Vasu
- Payal Rajput as Helen, a deaf and mute girl, Raj's love interest and Vasu's mother
- Nabha Natesh as Nabha, Vasu's love interest
- Tanya Hope as Dr. Parineeti
- Bobby Simha as Burma Sethu, an aged gangster
- Sunil as Utham Kumar / Anthony Das, Raj's gang member
- Vennela Kishore as Phalguni, Parineeti's colleague who has a crush on her
- Ramki as Bharani
- Naresh as Kukuteshwar Rao
- Shishir Sharma as Dr. Shishir, founder of Re-Live Labs
- Satya as Philip
- Giri Babu as Giri
- Raghu Babu as young Giri
- Satyam Rajesh as Bogi
- Annapurna as Deaf and Dumb News Reader/Translator between Raj and Helen
- Bharath Reddy as Subbu
- CVL Narasimha Rao as Kaushik's father
- Abhay Bethiganti as Sethu's assistant
- Muskan Arora
- Shankar Melkote as Melkote
According to reports, Disco Raja is a science fiction, a genre that is sure to bring in the audiences to the theatres. Three leading ladies Nabha Natesh, Payal Rajput and Priyanka Jawalkar, were signed to share the screen space with Ravi Teja. Vi Anand is wielding the megaphone for this entertainer.
Allari Naresh has been hired to play an important role in the film. Impressed over the way his character has been shaped up, Allari Naresh has agreed to join the star cast, confirm sources.
A schedule of this film was wrapped up at the Aluminium Factory in Hyderabad, where an action sequence involving Ravi Teja and Bobby Simha was shot. The set, which cost its makers well over Rs 1 crore, will be the highlight of the film. It may be noted here that we had reported earlier that the producer of Disco Raja wanted to bring down the cost of production from Rs 40 crore to Rs 30 crore, following which some changes in the script were made. This did not go well with Ravi Teja, due to which the shooting had to be put on hold. But with the producer clarifying that all is well with Disco Raja, fans can wait patiently for its release.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Lahari Music, T-Series|
|S. Thaman chronology|
|Singles from Disco Raja|
The second single track, "Dilli Wala", was released on 20 December 2019; the peppy number was sung by Aditya Iyengar, Geetha Madhuri, Rahul Nambiar and lyrics penned by Ramajogayya Sastry. Thaman has given an EDM touch to it with his contemporary score.
|1.||"Nuvvu Naatho Emannavo"||Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||5:40|
|2.||"Dilli Wala"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Aditya Iyengar, Geetha Madhuri, Rahul Nambiar||5:11|
|3.||"Rum Pum Bum"||Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry||Ravi Teja, Bappi Lahiri, Sri Krishna||3:26|
|4.||"Freak Out (Theme Music)"||Instrumental||2:15|
The film's motion poster was released on Teja's birthday and Republic Day 26 January 2019. The first look poster of Bobby Simha was released on 6 November 2019, on his birthday and revealed his character as Burma Sethu. On December 4, 2019 movie has announced the teaser trailer release date by releasing a new poster featuring Teja. First look poster of Payal Rajput was released on 5 December 2019, on her birthday. First look poster of Nabha Natesh was released on 11 December 2019, on her birthday. The teaser trailer of the film was released on 6 December 2019. The second teaser trailer of the film was released on 13 January 2020. The Pre-release event was held on January 19, 2020 at N convention Madhapur, Hyderabad.
- "SRT Entertainments on Twitter: With a Run Time of 149 minutes, #DiscoRaja🦋 is ALL SET for release". Twitter. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "Anand's script requires a budget of Rs 65 crore". Deccan Chronicle. 3 May 2019. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- "Press Note : "Science Fiction Action Film 'Disco Raja' Overseas Release by Sarigama Cinemas"". 123Telugu.com.
- 23 (6 December 2019). "Disco Raja Teaser : Ravi Teja Done With The Crap". Gulte. Retrieved 6 December 2019.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- kavirayani, suresh (9 November 2019). "A birthday gift for Ravi Teja!". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- Adivi, Sashidhar (6 December 2019). "From hot to versatile". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Bobby Simha's role in 'Disco Raja' revealed on his birthday". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Ravi Teja's Disco Raja release date out". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Ravi Teja's upcoming film Disco Raja to hit the big screen on THIS date; Find Out". PINKVILLA. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "'Disco Raja' Box Office Collection: Ravi Teja Starrer Witnesses Another Drop On Day 6". Republic TV. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- "Ravi Teja's flop streak continues". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- "A dubious hat-trick". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "No Sequel for Disco Raja". The Hans India. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- "'It's a challenge to compose music for commercial films': S Thaman". The New Indian Express. 4 December 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Nuvvu Naatho Emannavo: A refreshing melody from Ravi Teja's Disco Raja". The Times of India. 20 October 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "DISCO RAJA'S NEW SONG DILLI WALA' IS JUST 'WOW'". Iqlikmovies.com. 22 December 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "Disco Raja - Motion Poster". The Times of India. 26 January 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Bobby Simha as Burma Sethu in Disco Raja". The Times of India. 6 November 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Disco Raja team announces teaser release date with a new poster featuring Ravi Teja". The Times of India. 4 December 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "First Look of Payal Rajput from Disco Raja". Tollywood.Net. 5 December 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Birthday Girl Nabha Natesh's look from Ravi Teja-Vi Anand's film Disco Raja". The Times of India. 11 December 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "Disco Raja teaser out! Ravi Teja is the perfect blend of disco and danger in VI Anand directorial". Times Now. 6 December 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Disco Raja Second Teaser Out, Ravi Teja Back with a Bang". CNN-News18. 14 January 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "Disco Raja pre-release event to be held on January 19". The Times of India. 14 January 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "Official: Ravi Teja's Disco Raja to hit the theaters on January 24, 2020". The Times of India. 7 November 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "A birthday gift for Ravi Teja!". Deccan Chronicle. 9 November 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.