Don't Do Me Like That
|"Don't Do Me Like That"|
U.S. 7" vinyl
|Single by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers|
|from the album Damn the Torpedoes|
|Released||November 5, 1979|
|Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers singles chronology|
"Don't Do Me Like That" is a song written by Tom Petty and recorded by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. It was released in November 1979 as the first single from the album Damn the Torpedoes (1979). It reached number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the band's first Top 10 hit. The single also peaked at number 3 in Canada.
Petty wrote the song and recorded a demo version with his previous band Mudcrutch in 1974. At one point he strongly considered giving the song to The J. Geils Band because he thought it had their sound. During the Damn the Torpedoes sessions he was convinced by producer Jimmy Iovine to include it on the album because he sensed it would be a hit. Billboard Magazine praised the song for its "strong lyrical hook backed up by some solid mid to fast rock instrumentation" and its "urgent" vocal.
In The UK, despite airplay by Capital Radio in the summer of 1980, the track failed to make the Top 75 chart.
The song appeared in the 2009 romantic comedy It's Complicated starring Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. Streep and Baldwin's characters dance to the song in a bar. It also appeared in the movie My Best Friend's Girl.
Single track listings
- "Don't Do Me Like That" b/w "Casa Dega"
Backstreet 41138 (US)
- "Don't Do Me Like That" b/w "Century City"
"Something Else" (Live) b/w "Stories We Could Tell" (Live)
Backstreet MCA 596 (UK 2x7" single)
- Tom Petty: Rock 'n' Roll Guardian by Andrea M. Rotondo
- Joel Whitburn, Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles: 1955-2010, Record Research, 2011.
- Bosso, Joe. "Tom Petty: Damn The Torpedoes Deluxe Edition review track-by-track". MusicRadar. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Top Single Picks" (PDF). Billboard Magazine. November 17, 1979. p. 76. Retrieved 2020-07-07.
- "Top 100 1980-02-09". Cashbox Magazine. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "Pop Singles" Billboard December 20, 1980: TIA-10