Driver Monitoring System
The Driver Monitoring System, also known as Driver Attention Monitor, is a vehicle safety system first introduced by Toyota in 2006 for its and Lexus latest models. It was first offered in Japan on the GS 450h. The system's functions co-operate with the Pre-Collision System (PCS). The system uses infrared sensors to monitor driver attentiveness. Specifically, the Driver Monitoring System includes a CCD camera placed on the steering column which tracks the face, via infrared LED detectors. If the driver is not paying attention to the road ahead and a dangerous situation is detected, the system will warn the driver by flashing lights, warning sounds. If no action is taken, the vehicle will apply the brakes (a warning alarm will sound followed by a brief automatic application of the braking system). This system is said to be the first of its kind.
In 2017, Cadillac released their Super Cruise system. Which allowed hands free driving at highway speeds on specially mapped highways. In order to ensure that the driver continued to pay attention to the road, they included Seeing Machines DMS, this was initially only available in the CT6.
In 2019, BMW introduced a Extended Traffic Jam Assistant System  in almost its entire range of car models this allows driving at up to 37 mph
Lexus models that have adopted the Driver Monitoring System to date, listed by model year::
- 2006-2011 Lexus GS 450h (not available as configured in the US market)
- 2010-2017 Lexus LS 460
- 2008-2017 Lexus LS 600h
- 2010 Lexus HS 250h
- 2010-2019 Lexus GX 460
Toyota models that have adopted the Driver Monitoring System:
- 2008 Toyota Crown Hybrid (includes drowsiness detection)
BMW models have adopted Driver Monitoring System in 2019 in the optional "BMW Live Cockpit Professional" available in:
- BMW 1 Series (F40)
- BMW 2 Series (F44)
- BMW 3 Series (G20)
- BMW 5 Series (G30)
- BMW 6 Series (G32)
- BMW 7 Series (G11)
- BMW 8 Series (G15)
- BMW X3 (G01)
- BMW X4 (G02)
- BMW X5 (G05)
- BMW X6 (G06)
- BMW X7 (G07)
- BMW Z4 (G29)
- BMW iX3
The infrared cameras are in the top middle part of the instrument cluster, part of iDrive BMW Live Cockpit and driven by BMW Operating System 7.0.
Mercedes-Benz have integrated the camera from their Seeing Machines Driver Monitoring System with the 3d instrument display, Head Up Display, lighting and car controls in the 2021 model Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W223).
- "Toyota Enhances Pre-crash Safety System With Driver-monitoring Function". JCN Newswires. 2005.
- "LS460 achieves a world-first in preventative safety". NewCarNet.co.uk. 2006-08-30. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- "Auto Bild Safety Comparison LS460 vs. S550" (in German). Auto Bild. 2006-12-05. Archived from the original on 2007-02-16. Retrieved 2007-04-09.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-03-10.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Toyota Enhances Pre-crash Safety System with Eye Monitor
- "Toyota Redesigns Crown & Introduces Hybrid Model". Worldcarfans.
- Driver Monitoring System at Lexus.eu
- DADS: Driver Alertness Detection System
- Seeing Machines
- Smart Eye