Duffel Town Hall
|• Mayor||Sofie Joosen (NVA)|
|• Governing party/ies||NVA|
|• Total||22.71 km2 (8.77 sq mi)|
|• Density||770/km2 (2,000/sq mi)|
|Area codes||015, 03|
The municipality comprises only the town of Duffel proper. On 1 January 2006, Duffel had a total population of 16,019. The total area is 22.71 km² which gives a population density of 705 inhabitants per km².
The town is the home of "duffel fabric", a coarse woolen cloth used to make heavy outerwear and tote bags.
The etymology of Duffel is from "dubro" and "locus", from the Gaulish dubrum, dubron – "water".
The town gives its name to a heavy woollen cloth used to make overcoats, especially for the armed forces, and various kinds of luggage. Items made from this material are sometimes spelled duffle as in duffle coat and duffle bag.
- Jan Van Der Roost, composer
- Kevin De Weert, cyclist
- Andreas Pereira, footballer
- Cornelis Kiliaan (1528–1607), lexicographer and poet
- Hendrik Hondius I (1573–1650), engraver, cartographer and publisher
- "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "Duffel". Online Etymology Dictionary. Retrieved April 27, 2011.
|This Antwerp location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|