The EMD SD22ECO is a 2,150 hp (1,600 kW) C-C diesel-electric locomotive rebuilt by Electro-Motive Diesel. It is, along with the GP22ECO, primarily the application of a conversion kit to an existing EMD SD40-type locomotive. This involves replacing the existing prime mover with an EPA Tier-II-compliant turbocharged V8 710G3A, with Electronic fuel injection. The prime mover is mated to an AR10 alternator for traction power, a CA6 alternator for control power, and a computerized control system.
This conversion does not alter the external appearance of the locomotive.
Advertised benefits include:
- EPA Tier-II compliance.
- Fuel savings up to 25%.
- Lube oil savings up to 50%.
- Upgradeable software can be tuned for reduced emissions or improved fuel efficiency.
- Microprocessor control offers diagnostics, wheel slip control, and optimal wheel/rail adhesion.
- 184-day maintenance cycle instead of 92-day.
- 15,000 MWh overhaul cycle.
- Reduced maintenance expense due to use of standard 710 prime mover.
- Automatic Engine Start Stop system keeps locomotive ready without wasting fuel.