El Rey Network
|El Rey Network|
|Launched||December 15, 2013|
|Owned by||El Netwarko Groupo (Robert Rodriguez, Univision Communications, Cox Communications)|
|Slogan||Ride With Us|
|Selective TV, Inc. (Alexandria, MN)||KY20A-DT (Channel 100)|
|Dish Network||253 (SD)|
|Comcast||On select systems|
|Cox Communications||On select systems|
|Frontier Communications||On select systems|
El Rey Network (Spanish for The King) is an American television network founded by Robert Rodriguez in a deal with Univision, targeting a Hispanic American audience. Launched on December 15, 2013, the network specializes in grindhouse-style content and its bumpers and commercials use grainy visuals with narration by a distinctive gravelly voice.
As of March 2015, approximately 40 million households receive El Rey Network.
The network airs on the digital basic service in some of Comcast's systems. Comcast had announced that the network was expected to debut by January 2014. In August 2012, the network announced that its CEO is Antoinette Alfonso Zel. In May 2013, Univision announced that it was investing in El Rey.
Upon launch in the week of December 15, 2013, El Rey was offered by cable companies Time Warner Cable and Comcast, with Bright House Networks offering soon later in January 2014, and Cox Communications by February 2014.
The first satellite service to host El Rey was DirecTV in January 2014, the second, Dish Network, came a year later in January 2015. In February 2015, El Rey was made available through cable company Suddenlink Communications in select markets. In July 2016, it was added to the Verizon Fios lineup. However, it was removed, along with all other Univision networks, in October 2017 due to carriage disputes.
In November 2013, it was announced that the production of From Dusk till Dawn: The Series had begun. The Director's Chair with Robert Rodriguez premiered in May 2014 with John Carpenter as his first spotlighted director. On July 10, it was announced that Guillermo Del Toro and Quentin Tarantino would be the next two directors spotlighted in July and August 2014, respectively. Matador, from Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, premiered in July 2014. Lucha libre program Lucha Underground, featuring wrestlers from Lucha Libre AAA World Wide (AAA) and produced by Mark Burnett, premiered on October 29, 2014.
Annual programming on El Rey include a marathon of the many Toho-produced Godzilla films during the Christmas & Independence Day weekends and the Thanksgiving Way of the Turkey marathon of kung fu films.
As of January 2019 
- Lucha Underground (2014–present)
- The Director's Chair with Robert Rodriguez (2014–present)
- Man at Arms: Art of War (2017–present)
- Baja Desert Championship (2017–present)
- Rebel Without a Crew: The Series (2018–present)
- Biker Mice from Mars
- Clerks: The Animated Series
- Crunch Time
- Day 5
- Incredible Hulk
- Knight Rider
- Quantum Leap
- Stargate Atlantis
- Stargate SG-1
- Starhunter: ReduX
- The A-Team
- Xena: Warrior Princess
Former original programming
- Matador (2014)
- From Dusk till Dawn: The Series (2014–2016)
- Explosion Jones
- Rite of Passage (2017)
- Bushido Battleground (2017)
Former acquired programming
- Alien Nation
- Almost Human
- Core Culture
- Freddy's Nightmares
- Human Target
- I Am the Greatest: The Adventures of Muhammad Ali
- Mercy Point
- Miami Vice
- Night Visions
- Pros vs. Joes
- Red vs. Blue
- Texas Justice
- Toxic Crusaders
- Starsky and Hutch
- The Twilight Zone
Possible Potential Future Programming
- Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy
- Shaman King
- Power Stone
- Flint the Time Detective
- Street Fighter the TV series
- Wild Arms: Twilight Venom
- Arc the Lad
- Saint Seiya
- Rave Master
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "Distribution approximation as of March 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "Comcast to start new minority-owned cable channels". Sports Illustrated. February 21, 2012. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- Molloy, Tim. "Comcast Announces New Networks With Magic Johnson, Sean Combs, Robert Rodriguez". Reuters. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- "El Rey Network Announces Antoinette Alfonso Zel As CEO". PR Newswire. August 6, 2012. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- "Univision Communications and El Rey Network Announce Strategic Partnership, Unveil Upcoming Scripted Series". Univision. May 14, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- "Univision pairs with Rodriguez on El Rey network". Associated Press. May 14, 2013. Archived from the original on October 7, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- de la Fuente, Anna Marie. "Univision's Fourth Quarter, Full Year Revenue Rises". Variety. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Univision, Time Warner Cable strike new distribution deal". Los Angeles Times. October 9, 2013. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Poggi, Jeanine. "New TV Networks Scorecard: Eight Cable Channels to Watch in 2014". Advertising Age. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Bright House Networks Launches Univision Deportes Network and Univision tlNovelas". Bright House Networks. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "DIRECTV Rumor Alert (El Rey Network launched 1/1)". satelliteguys.us.
- Reynolds, Mike. "Dish Inks Distribution Deal with El Rey". MultiChannel News. NewBay Media. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Farrell, Mike. "Suddenlink Launches El Rey Network". Multichannel News. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- T2's Robert Patrick & More Join 'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series', by Craig Hunter
- Caldwell, James (July 10, 2014). "AAA news: El Rey announces AAA Lucha Libre show for U.S. TV - timeslot, show title, more details". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Lucha Underground promotion TV debut moved back three weeks". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. September 22, 2014. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- "Shows on El Rey Network".
- Two El Rey Series Stream Over to VRV
- "Man at Arms: Art of War: Season 1". El Rey Network. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
- El Rey Network Greenlights Second Season Of ‘Man At Arms: Art Of War’
- "El Rey Network To Air Legendary "Baja Desert Championship: Baja 500" On August 6th At 5 PM ET". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "El Rey Network To Boost Original Content By 50%; 'From Dusk Till Dawn' Still In Limbo – TCA". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Martial Arts Series 'Bushido Battleground' Gets Green Light At El Rey Network". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "El Rey Network to show marathon of Muhammad Ali's 1977 animated series". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to El Rey Network.|