Ellen Reid (composer)
Ellen Reid is a composer originally from Tennessee but living and working in New York City and Los Angeles. Reid is the first composer to have been commissioned by all of Los Angeles's four major classical music institutions: Los Angeles Opera at REDCAT, Los Angeles Philharmonic, L.A. Master Chorale and L.A. Chamber Orchestra. She is the only female composer to ever have been performed by all four and the first composer to have world premieres by all four. In addition to classical music, Reid also writes music for films, TV, and art installations.
Her first feature film score was 2014 drama-mystery The Midnight Swim. She also contributed original music to the soundtrack of the 2016 mystery film Buster's Mal Heart. Both films were written and directed by Sarah Adina Smith. Reid and Missy Mazzoli co-founded Luna Composition Lab, a mentorship program for young self-identified female, non-binary, and gender non-conforming composers.
Her first opera, "prism", about a sexual assault survivor's psychological struggles, premiered in L.A. in November 2018.
- Swed, Mark. "Review: With Ellen Reid's incandescent 'prism,' an opera composer is born". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- Womack, Catherine. "In the American dream, with every boom comes a bust. How these women turned that cycle into music". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Ellen Reid's Dreams of the New World Awakens at Walt Disney Concert Hall : Seen and Heard International". seenandheard-international.com. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Mister Squinter and Ellen Reid - The Midnight Swim | Light In The Attic Records". Light In The Attic Records. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "'Buster's Mal Heart' Soundtrack: Score By Mister Squinter Out On August 25, Film Stars Mr. Robot's Rami Malek". Film Music Daily. 2017-08-25. Retrieved 2018-12-02.