|Full name||Fabián Cornelio Balbuena González|
|Date of birth||23 August 1991|
|Place of birth||Ciudad del Este, Paraguay|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|West Ham United|
|Cerro Porteño PF|
|2010–2012||Cerro Porteño PF||76||(5)|
|2018–||West Ham United||15||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 8 December 2018 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 21 November 2018
Born in Ciudad del Este, Balbuena was promoted to Cerro Porteño PF's first team in 2010, after the arrival of new manager Eduardo Rivera. He immediately became a starter under Rivera, playing in all the remaining seven matches of the campaign as his side achieved a mid-table position.
Balbuena quickly became a regular starter in 2011, being also team captain as the club achieved promotion from División intermedia. He scored his first goal for the club on 3 April of that year, netting the game's only in a home success over Deportivo Caaguazú.
Balbuena joined Rubio Ñu ahead of the 2013 season, but remained at the club for only six months before moving to defending champions Club Nacional. At the latter side, he was also first-choice and reached the 2014 Copa Libertadores Finals, losing it to San Lorenzo.
On 16 February 2016, Balbuena moved abroad for the first time in his career after agreeing to a three-year deal with Série A side Corinthians. He made his debut for the club nine days later by starting in a 1–1 Campeonato Paulista away draw against São Bento, and scored his first goal on 19 March in a 4–0 home routing of Linense for the same competition.
A key defensive unit at Timão, Balbuena lifted the 2017 Campeonato Paulista, 2017 Campeonato Brasileiro Série A and 2018 Campeonato Paulista during his spell. On 24 April 2018, he signed a new four-year contract.
West Ham United
On 14 July 2018, Balbuena signed for Premier League club West Ham United on a three-year deal, for an undisclosed fee. He made his debut on 12 August in a 4–0 defeat by Liverpool. On 27 October he scored his first goal for the Hammers to open the scoring at Leicester City, but deflected Wilfred Ndidi's long-range shot into his own net for the equaliser; he was the first Paraguayan to score in England's top division since Antolín Alcaraz in May 2012.
First called up on 19 March 2015, Balbuena made his full international debut for Paraguay national team on 31 March by starting in a 1–0 friendly loss against Mexico at the Arrowhead Stadium. He was also named among the 23-man squads for the 2015 Copa América and the Copa América Centenario. He made his first competitive appearance at the latter in the final group game, a 1–0 loss to hosts the United States in which he was substituted at half time for attacker Juan Iturbe.
- As of 8 December 2018
|Cerro Porteño PF||2010||División Intermedia||7||0||—||—||—||7||0|
|Rubio Ñu||2013||Primera División||17||1||—||—||—||17||1|
|West Ham United||2018–19||Premier League||15||1||0||0||—||—||15||1|
- As of 25 January 2017
- División Intermedia: 2011
- Bola de Prata: 2017
- Campeonato Brasileiro Team of the Year: 2017
- Campeonato Paulista Team of the year: 2018
- "2018/19 Premier League squads confirmed". Premier League. 3 September 2018. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Fabián Cornelio Balbuena González - Fichajes.com". Fichajes .com: Noticias y rumores sobre el mercado de fichajes de fútbol. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- "Pai queria que Balbuena estudasse, mas ele virou jogador, capitão aos 20 e hoje brilha no Corinthians" [Balbuena's father wanted him to study, but he became a player, captain at 20 and today shines at Corinthians] (in Portuguese). ESPN Brasil. 28 July 2017. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Se sumó otro Mazacotte" [Another Mazacotte joined] (in Spanish). ABC Color. 7 June 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Balbuena ya es gumarelo" [Balbuena already is gumarelo] (in Spanish). ABC Color. 15 August 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Balbuena assina com Corinthians por três temporadas" [Balbuena signs with Corinthians for three seasons] (in Portuguese). SC Corinthians Paulista. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Fabián Balbuena renova contrato por quatro temporadas" [Fabián Balbuena renews contract for four seasons] (in Portuguese). SC Corinthians Paulista. 24 April 2018. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "West Ham sign Paraguay defender Balbuena". West Ham United FC. 14 July 2018. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Salah, Mane & Sturridge on target as Liverpool beat West Ham 4–0". BBC Sport. 12 August 2018. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Leicester City 1–1 West Ham United". BBC Sport. 27 October 2018. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Mexico vs. Paraguay 2015: Final score 1–0, El Tri run rampant in Kansas City". SB Nation. 31 March 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Los 23 elegidos de Díaz" [Díaz's 23 chosen ones] (in Spanish). ABC Color. 28 May 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Solo un par de nuevos entre los de siempre" [Only a bunch of newbies among the usual ones] (in Spanish). ABC Color. 10 May 2016. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Shorthanded USA outlasts Paraguay 1–0 to advance to 2016 Copa America quarterfinals". U.S. Soccer. 11 June 2016. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- Fabián Balbuena at Soccerway. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Games played by Fabián Balbuena in 2018/2019". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Fabián Balbuena". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Com domínio do Palmeiras, Seleção é premiada recheada de finalistas" [With prevalence of Palmeiras, Best XI is awarded full of finalists] (in Portuguese). Federação Paulista de Futebol. 9 April 2018. Retrieved 10 April 2018.