Federal Migration Service
|Federal Migration Service of the Russian Government|
FMS of Russia
|Formed||June 14, 1992|
|Dissolved||5 April 2016|
|Superseding agency||Directorate for Migration Affairs of MVD|
|Governing body||Government of Russia|
|Headquarters||Upper Radishchevskaya Street 4 D. str. 1, Tagansky District in Moscow, Russia|
|Elected officer responsible|
|Parent agency||Government of Russia|
The Federal Migration Service (Федеральная миграционная служба, ФМС России) was a federal law enforcement agency of Russia responsible for implementing the state policy on migration and also performing law enforcement functions, functions for control, supervision, and provision of public services in the field of migration. The Federal Migration Service was responsible for the issuing of Russian international passports, resident registration and immigration control in Russia. Headquartered in Moscow, FMS was charged with the investigation and enforcement of over 500 federal statutes within the Russian Federation. FMS is led by a Director who is appointed by the Prime Minister of Russia.
FMS was the one of the largest investigative agency in the Russian government, following the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation, Investigative Committee of Russia and the FSKN.
The Russian Federal Migration Service was created on June 14, 1992, replacing the Migration Committee of the Ministry of Labor and Employment. The service was established on the basis of Governmental Decree No. 740 from September 22, 1992.
The Russian Federal Migration Service was created on June 14, 1992, replacing the Migration Committee of the Ministry of Labor and Employment.
In 1999, President of Russia Boris Yeltsin signed a decree to dissolve the FMS and reestablish it as Ministry for Federation Affairs, Nationalities and Migration Policy.
In 2001 the Ministry was dissolved and its functions were transferred to the MVD.
On February 23, 2002, President Putin organized the establishment of the Department for Migration Affairs under the MVD.
On July 19, 2004, President Putin signed a decree to re-establish the Federal Migration Service. The service was reorganized in its current form by Presidential Decree No. 928 of July 19, 2004 "Issues of the Federal Migration Service".
The territorial organs of the FMS of Russia were established on January 1, 2006, bringing together the Passport and Visa Service and the Immigration Division of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
- Law Directorate
- Directorate for Analytic organization
- Directorate for Immigration Control (Управление иммиграционного контроля)
- Directorate for Citizenship Affairs
- Office for immigrants
- Directorate for the organization of visas and registration
- Directorate of external labor migration
- Directorate for the organization of passports and registration of public accounting
- Department of International and Public Affairs
- Directorate of Compatriots Affairs
- Inspection and Accountability Office
- Financial and Economic Affairs
- Department of organizing activities for mobilization training
- Center for[clarification needed] citizens, passport and visa issues
- Center for Logistics
- Information Center
- Centers for temporary accommodation of displaced persons
- Centers for Medical and psychological rehabilitation of displaced persons
- Department for Base material and technical resources
- Center for temporary accommodation of immigrants
- Training Center
- Federal State Institution "Center for the detention of persons subject to readmission"
Since 2007, June 14 is the official Day of the worker of the Migration Service in the Russian Federation.
Directors of the Federal Migration Service
|No.||Director||Term of Office||President(s) served under|
|1.||Tatyana Regent||July 1992 - February 1999||Boris Yeltsin|
|2.||Andrey Chernenko||3 June 2004 — July 20, 2005||Vladimir Putin|
|2.||Konstantin Romodanovsky||July 20, 2005 — April 5, 2016||Vladimir Putin|
- "Resolution of the Government of Russia from July 13, 2012, № 711". Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2015.
- Presidential Decree № 928 of July 19, 2004 'On the Federal Migration Service' Archived July 5, 2015, at the Wayback Machine on Kremlin website
- Presidential Decree "On Federal Migration Service", Official FMS Website
- as the director of the Migration Department in the Interior Ministry.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Federal Migration Service of Russia.|
- Official website
- FMS Moscow
- FMS Saint Petersburg
- BBC News Article detailing the FMS' poor treatment of migrants and the racist attitudes of FMS staff