Federal Migration Service
|Federal Migration Service of the Russian Government
FMS of Russia
Logo of the Federal Migration Service of the Russian Government
Flag of Federal migratory service, 2007
|Formed||June 14, 1992|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Governing body||Government of Russia|
|Headquarters||Upper Radishchevskaya Street 4 D. str. 1, Tagansky District in Moscow, Russia|
|Elected officer responsible||Dmitry Medvedev, Prime Minister of Russia|
|Agency executive||Konstantin Romodanovsky, Director|
|Parent agency||Government of Russia|
|Child agency||Immigration Control Directorate|
The Federal Migration Service (Федеральная миграционная служба, ФМС России) is a federal law enforcement agency that responsible for implements the state policy on migration and also performs law enforcement functions, functions for control, supervision and provision of public services in the field of migration. The Federal Migration Service is responsible for issue of Russian international passports, resident registration and immigration control in Russia. Headquartered in Moscow, FMS is charged with the investigation and enforcement of over 500 federal statutes within the Russian Federation. FMS is led by a Director who is appointed by the Prime Minister of Russia.
FMS is the one of the largest investigative agency in the Russian government, following the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation, Investigative Committee of Russia and the FSKN.
The Russian Federal Migration Service was created in June 14, 1992 replacing the Migration Committee of the Ministry of Labor and Employment. The service was established on basis of Governmental Decree No. 740 from September 22, 1992.
The Russian Federal Migration Service was created in June 14, 1992 replacing the Migration Committee of the Ministry of Labor and Employment.
On 1999, President of Russia Boris Yeltsin signed a Decree to dissolve the FMS and reestablish as Ministry for Federation Affairs, Nationalities and Migration Policy.
On 2001 the Ministry was dissolved and its functions were transferred to the MVD.
On February 23, 2002 President Putin organize the establishment of the Department for Migration Affairs under the MVD.
On July 19, 2004 President Putin has signed a Decree to reestablish the Federal Migration Service. The service was reorganize in its current form by Presidential Decree № 928 of July 19, 2004 "Issues of the Federal Migration Service".
The territorial organs of tre FMS of Russia were established as of 1 January 2006, bringing together the Passport and Visa Service and the Immigration Division of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
- Law Directorate
- Directorate for Analytic organization
- Directorate for Immigration Control (Управление иммиграционного контроля)
- Directorate for Citizenship Affairs
- Office for immigrants
- Directorate for organization of visas and registration
- Directorate of external labor migration
- Directorate for organization of passports and registration of public accounting
- Department of International and Public Affairs
- Directorate of Compatriots Affairs
- Inspection and Accountability Office
- Financial and economic Affairs
- Department of organizing activities for mobilization training
- Center fof citizens, passport and visas issues
- Center for Logistics
- Information Center
- Centers for temporary accommodation of displaced persons
- Centers for Medical and psychological rehabilitation of displaced persons
- Department for Base material and technical resources
- Center for temporary accommodation of immigrants
- Training Center
- Federal State Institution "Center for detention of persons subject to readmission"
Since 2007, June 14 is the official Day of the worker of the Migration Service in the Russian Federation.
Directors of the Federal Migration Service
|No.||Director||Term of Office||President(s) served under|
|1.||Tatyana Regent||July 1992 - February 1999||Boris Yeltsin|
|2.||Andrey Chernenko||3 June 2004 — July 20, 2005||Vladimir Putin|
|2.||Konstantin Romodanovsky||July 20, 2005 —||Vladimir Putin
- Resolution of the Government of Russia from July 13, 2012, № 711
- Presidential Decree № 928 of July 19, 2004 'On the Federal Migration Service' on Kremlin website
- Presidential Decree "On Federal Migration Service", Official FMS Website
- as the director of the Migration Department in the Interior Ministry.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Federal Migration Service.|
- Official website
- FMS Moscow
- FMS Saint Patersburg
- BBC News Article detailing the FMS' poor treatmant of migrants and the racist attitutdes of FMS staff
International agencies comparable to FMS
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Serious Organized Crime Agency—UK
- RCMP Integrated Border Enforcement Teams—Canada
- SVA Customs Surveillance Service—Spain