Ebor Academy Filey
|Headteacher||Mr A C Galbraith |
|Local authority||North Yorkshire|
|DfE URN||142061 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
Ebor Academy Filey (formerly Filey School) is a secondary school located in Filey, North Yorkshire, England. It is the only secondary school in Filey, and it also covers surrounding villages, with a significant intake from Hunmanby. The school is under the Enhanced Mainstream School (EMS) umbrella created by North Yorkshire County Council, which means the school is specialised in Special Educational Needs students. As of September it will be the Ebor Academy Filey. It is run by Andrew Galbraith. The previous head teachers were Sue Morgan and Andy Dickingson.
The school converted to academy status in September 2015 and was renamed Ebor Academy Filey.
The school, until March 2013, had a swimming pool that was open to the residents of Filey, until a shortfall in funding, and inaccurate financial information preventing rescue funding, forced it to close. This was amid claims that North Yorkshire County Council was underfunding the school, a claim it denies. The school facilities have improved massively since Ebor Alliance took over. There are chromebooks for all the humanities sections, more PE facilities and more opportunities.
A subsequent inspection in 2013 reduced the school's rating to Grade 4 (inadequate) - the lowest possible grade - citing "achievement of pupils" and "quality of teaching" as inadequate, and "behaviour and safety of pupils" and "leadership and management" as requiring improvement, saying overall that "this is a school that has serious weaknesses".
In July 2015 a whistleblower leaked a report about the serious failings of Filey School. The whistleblower states “The school would be better closed because the level of education the students’ are getting at the moment is almost nonexistent,” said the anonymous source. 
|Arts Award||Vocational Level 1/2|
|ASDAN||Vocational Level 1/2|
|Business Studies||BTEC Level 2|
|Child Care||Vocational Level 2|
|Creative & Media||Diploma Level 2|
|Engineering||Diploma Level 1 and Vocational Level 1/2|
|Fashion & Textiles||GCSE|
|ICT||OCR National Level 2|
|Land Based Science||GCSE|
|Media Studies||BTEC Level 2|
|Performing Arts||BTEC Level 2|
|Religious Education||GCSE/GCSE Short Course|
|Social, Health & Development||Diploma Level 2|
Notable former pupils
- Andy Crawford, footballer, most notably with Derby County F.C. and Blackburn Rovers F.C.
- Toby Jepson - founding member of, and vocalist in, hard rock band Little Angels
- Mark Plunkett - co-founder of Little Angels and manager of Boyzone
- "Filey School - Headteacher's Message". Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "What is an enhanced mainstream school (EMS)?". North Yorkshire County Council. NYCC. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Filey School swimming pool closure to go ahead". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "North Yorkshire rejects funding criticism over Filey School". North Yorkshire County Council. NYCC. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Filey School"; Ofsted Inspection Report, 14 June 2010. Retrieved 16 June 2012
- "Ofsted Inspection Report" (PDF). Ofsted. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "School inspection report: Filey School" (PDF). Ofsted. 3 September 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "School Information". Filey School Website. Filey School. Retrieved 23 May 2013.