Minister of the Interior (France)
The Minister of the Interior is responsible for the following:
- The general interior security of the country, with respect to criminal acts or natural catastrophes
- including the major law-enforcement forces (see Police in France)
- Civil defence and Security Directorate - Securite Civile
- the granting of identity documents (passports, identity cards) and driving licenses through the network of préfectures;
- relations between the central government and local governments;
- logistics and organization of political elections, at the national and prefectoral levels (but the results of the elections are overseen by the Constitutional Council or the administrative courts);
- regulation of immigration and preventing illegal immigration;
- integration of legal immigrants (professionally, linguistically, housing, etc.);
While the ministry of the Interior supervises police forces, it does not supervise criminal enquiries; criminal enquiries are conducted under the supervision of the judiciary.
The current Minister of the Interior is Bernard Cazeneuve.