Type of site
|LGBT social networking service|
|Available in||English, German|
|Launched||17 May 2008|
|216,555 (July 2012[update])|
Gays.com (not to be confused with Gay.com) is an LGBT social networking service and website launched on 17 May 2012, operated and privately owned by Gays.com Limited. Users must register before using the service, after which they may create a personal profile, add other users as friends and exchange messages.
In 2006, the purchase of the domain name for $500,000 by German entrepreneurs Julius and David Dreyer was a record sale for the year and one of the highlights of the domain name industry. The website launched as a closed beta in Shanghai on 17 May 2008 and was timed to coincide with the fourth International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia. Gays.com became open beta on 10 September 2008.
- "Gays.com". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Gays.com: Launch of a New-generation Social Networking Website for the GLBT Community". Yahoo. 17 May 2008.
- "THE LGBeaT: The Gay Facebook". City Weekend. 5 June 2008.
- "Gays.com Sold for $500,000 as Online Auction Drives Domain Sales Boom". Sedo. 7 November 2006.
- "The long-awaited Gays.com launch party pics". Gays.com blog. 26 May 2008.
- "Gays.com moves into open beta". The Inquisitr. 14 September 2008.
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender topics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|