|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||10
(plus 1 mini-series)
|No. of episodes||78 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Suzanne Readwin
|Running time||42 minutes
|Production company(s)||Lime Pictures|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||24 May 2011– present|
|Related shows||Jersey Shore
Beauty School Cop Outs
Ex on the Beach
Geordie Shore is a British reality television series broadcast on MTV. Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, it was first broadcast on 24 May 2011, and is the British spin-off of the American show Jersey Shore. "Geordie" is the regional nickname and dialect given to the people of the Tyneside area of North East England, and is closely associated with the city of Newcastle and its environs where the show is set. However the show includes cast members from various parts of North East England.
|Year||Series||Predominant Location||Number of Episodes||Average MTV viewers 1|
|2011||Series 1||Newcastle, England||6||631,000|
|Magaluf Madness||Magaluf, Spain||2||477,000|
|2012||Series 2||Newcastle, England||8||617,000|
|Series 3||Cancún, Mexico||8||882,000|
|Series 4||Newcastle, England||8||994,000|
|2013||Series 5||Newcastle, England||8||908,000|
|Series 6||Sydney, Australia||8||1,038,000|
|Series 7||Newcastle, England||6||1,040,000|
|2014||Series 8||Newcastle, England||8||1,075,000|
|Series 9||Newcastle, England||8||936,000|
|2015||Series 10||Newcastle, England||8||900,000|
Series 1 (2011)
The first series of the show began airing on 24 May 2011 and concluded on 28 June 2011, consisting of 6 episodes. It was then followed by a reunion show hosted by Russell Kane where the cast discussed the series in front of an audience. This episode aired on 5 July 2011, and was followed by a Best Bits special which counted down the best moments from the first series in an episode airing 12 July 2011. The series included Holly's turbulent relationship with Dan coming to an end, the beginning of Gaz and Charlotte's ongoing love/hate relationship, and Jay and Vicky's rocky relationship. In June 2011, two summer specials based in Magaluf were announced. These episodes aired from 23 August 2011 to 30 August 2011. This was the only series to feature Greg Lake.
Series 2 (2012)
The second series of the show began airing on 31 January 2012 and concluded on 20 March 2012, consisting of 8 episodes. Like the first series, this series included a reunion special and a best bits special episode. The series was confirmed on 15 August 2011 when it was announced that Geordie Shore had been recommissioned for a second series with an extended eight episode run. On 7 December 2011 it was confirmed the second series would begin on 31 January 2012. After the Magaluf specials Greg Lake announced he was to leave the show and not appear in the second series. Rebecca Walker and Ricci Guarnaccio were cast as replacements. The series featured Sophie and Joel's rocky relationship coming to an end, Vicky being torn between her boyfriend Dan and new cast member Ricci, Charlotte admitting she's finally had enough of seeing Gaz with other girls, and the beginning of Holly and James. For series two the cast moved from their home in Jesmond to a new house in a converted warehouse on the outskirts of the city. In January 2012 the cast launched their own fragrance, capturing the essence of Newcastle. Titled L’eau De Geordie (the world's first ever KEBAB scented perfume), their spoof perfume was to mark the premiere of the second series.
Series 3 (2012)
The third series of the show began airing on 26 June 2012 and concluded on 14 August 2012, consisting of 8 episodes. After the run of episodes, two best bits episodes aired counting down the series top 10 moments. The series was confirmed on 23 February 2012 when it was announced that the cast of Geordie Shore would head to Cancún in Mexico for Spring Break – eight episodes were filmed for series 3. Series 3 began filming in early March and aired on MTV in June, it was later confirmed by cast member Gary Beadle via Twitter. The series is therefore also known as Chaos in Cancun. This is the last series to include cast members Rebecca Walker and Jay Gardner, who both departed during the final episode. This series featured Vicky and Ricci's relationship on the rocks before they finally got engaged, Holly and James growing closer when James breaks his leg, and more bickering and flirting between Gaz and Charlotte.
Series 4 (2012)
The fourth series of the show began airing on 6 November 2012 and concluded on 18 December 2012, consisting of 8 episodes. For the first time this series there was no special episodes counting down the best bits. This was the first series to feature new cast members Daniel Thomas-Tuck and Scott Timlin The series includes Vicky and Ricci's ongoing arguments continue to the point of the engagement being temporarily called off, James leaving Holly distraught by the announcement of him having a girlfriend, and a huge bust-up between Vicky and Sophie which has the whole house divided. During the series, on 11 November 2012, the cast made guest appearances during the 2012 MTV Europe Music Awards where they presented the award for Best Male, which Justin Bieber won.
Series 5 (2013)
The fifth series of the show began airing on 19 February 2013 and concluded on 16 April 2013, consisting of 8 episodes. The series was followed by another Best Bits episode airing 16 April 2013. The series was confirmed on 10 January 2013 when MTV announced that the fifth series of Geordie Shore will follow the cast in several locations across Europe including Amsterdam, Barcelona, Prague and Tignes. Filming for Series 5 began on 14 November 2012, as confirmed by several cast members on Twitter, and concluded in December. This was the final series to include cast members Daniel Thomas-Tuck and Ricci Guarnaccio.
Series 6 (2013)
The sixth series of the show began airing on 9 July 2013 and concluded on 27 August 2013, consisting of 8 episodes. The series was officially announced on 25 February 2013 when it was revealed the series would be located in Sydney, Australia and would air Summer 2013. Filming for this series began on 2 April as confirmed by cast member Gaz on Twitter. However, Charlotte was absent from the beginning of filming and joined the remaining cast on 7 April. The series featured a one off return of former cast member Jay Gardner. During the series, Charlotte entered the Celebrity Big Brother house to compete in the twelfth series of the show and eventually won on 14 September 2013.
Series 7 (2013)
The seventh series of the show began airing on 17 September 2013 and concluded on 22 October 2013, consisting of 6 episodes. The series was confirmed on 5 July 2013 when it was announced that they were filming the series when Holly and Vicky were both arrested on a night out for assault during filming and are now temporarily suspended pending further enquiries. On 12 July 2013 it was announced that Sophie had been axed from the show after using offensive behaviour on the night when Holly and Vicky were arrested. Holly Hagan was cleared on 21 August 2013. On 13 August 2013 it was announced there would be a new cast member joining in Series 7, who was later revealed to be Marnie Simpson, the cousin of Sophie. Jay Gardner also made another one off return during this series. After the series, on 15 December 2013, in a bid to reach Christmas number one, Gaz released his debut single which features vocals from The Risk, who previously featured in the eighth series of The X Factor.
Series 8 (2014)
The eighth series of the show began airing on 22 July 2014 and concluded on 9 September 2014, consisting of 8 episodes. The series was confirmed on 22 October 2013 when Holly indicated that Series 7 was not the last and that another series would be filmed. Filming began for the series on 25 March 2014, featured two new cast members, Aaron Chalmers and Kyle Christie. During the series, Ricci entered the Celebrity Big Brother house to participate in the fourteenth series. He follows the footsteps from fellow cast member Charlotte who won the series in 2013. However he was evicted in a double eviction just two days before the final on 10 September. Ahead of the series, in 2014, it was announced that Charlotte would have her own TV series which aired on TLC. It was also revealed that had Vicky joined the cast of Ex On The Beach, she was later joined by fellow Geordie Shore cast member Ricci as well as Australian fling, Dan Conn who briefly appeared in the sixth series of the show.
Series 9 (2014)
The ninth series of the show began airing on 28 October 2014 and concluded on 16 December 2014, consisting of 8 episodes. On 15 May 2014, Gaz confirmed that the ninth series would be filmed in July/August 2014 and hinted at it being abroad. However the series remained in Newcastle. A new trailer confirmed that Vicky would be in charge, taking the role of 'Queen V' upon its return. On 28 October 2014, ahead of the Series 9 premiere, Vicky announced that this series would be her last.
Series 10 (2015)
The tenth series of the show began airing on 7 April 2015 and concluded on 26 May 2015, consisting of 8 episodes. The series of the show was also confirmed on 1 November 2014 when it was revealed by Gary Beadle that filming had commenced. On 17 November 2014, MTV announced the tenth series will be James' last series. On 17 February 2015 it was confirmed that the tenth series would begin with two new cast members; Chloe Etherington and Nathan Henry.
|Current cast members|
|Gary "Gaz" Beadle||Main|
|Former cast members|
In a column for Metro, Christopher Hooton described the show as "a gaudy kaleidoscope of six packs, shots, fights, simulated fellatio and exposed breasts," but said that criticism of the show was futile given its intent, noting that "being shocked by the lasciviousness of Geordie Shore is like being shocked by the lack of nutrition in a Pot Noodle." Newcastle Central MP Chi Onwurah has described the show as "bordering on pornographic," and announced she will be raising questions in Parliament about the issues raised by the programme. Newcastle has also benefited from the show by increased tourism. Hotels and travel agents have attributed increased bookings, up by as much as three of four times in 2012 from 2011, to the popularity of the program.
The show has been a continued success for MTV UK. Series 8, Episode 3 was watched by 1,175,000 viewers, meaning this is the most watched episode to date.
The show has also been very popular on the social network Twitter with the cast clocking up a total of 11,350,000 followers.
In December 2013, Gaz released his debut single "Party Like a Rockstar (Up Your Game)" in a bid to reach Christmas number one. Vocals from the track come from Australian recording artist Emily Williams and The X Factor series eight finalists The Risk. Vicky also appears in the music video.
|Single||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Party Like A RockStar (Up Your Game)"
(Gaz & Olabean featuring The Risk and Emily Williams)
Geordie Shore premiered in Canada in 2011 on MTV Canada. In Australia the programme began airing in 2011 on MTV Australia. In September 2011, the show was bought by Network Ten and now broadcasts the series on its digital channel Eleven also in Australia, this ended in 2013. In 2012 it began airing in New Zealand on MTV (New Zealand). The United States premier was in 2012 on MTV.
- "Jersey Shore v Geordie Shore". BBC News. 4 February 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Geordie Shore". MTV. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Geordie Shore". MTV. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Weekly Top 10 Programmes". BARB. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- Woodcock, Laura (16 June 2011). "Thornaby girl Holly Hagan set for Geordie Shore return". gazettelive.co.uk. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- Fletcher, Alex (2 June 2011). "Geordie Shore films Magaluf summer specials". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- Newman, Vicki (22 August 2011). "Geordie Shore returns for summer special". The Shields Gazette. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- Fletcher, Alex (25 August 2011). "Geordie Shore handed second series by MTV". Digital Spy. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- Fletcher, Alex (7 December 2011). "Geordie Shore series two launches in January". Digital Spy. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Caroe, Laura (2 February 2012). "Geordie Shore gets more steamy". The Sun. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Geordie Shore season 3 confirmed Cancun Spring Break". MTV. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Fletcher, Alex (23 February 2012). "Geordie Shore heads to Cancun in Spring Break for series three". Digital Spy. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Gaz (@GazGShore) on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Fletcher, Alex (2012-05-23). "'Geordie Shore' looking for new castmates for series four". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Sperling, Daniel (2012-10-02). "'Geordie Shore' unveils new male cast members - pictures". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Mint New Boys Dan And Scott Join Geordie Shore". MTV. 2012-10-02. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Daniels, Colin (2012-12-03). "'Geordie Shore' Vicky Pattison, Ricci Guarnaccio call off engagement". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Sheridan, Emily (2012-12-04). "'Give me the ring': Geordie Shore's Ricci Guarnaccio calls off his engagement to co-star Vicky Pattinson after drunken row". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Betiku, Fehintola (2012-11-05). "Look who's found himself a worldie: Geordie Shore's James Tindale holidays in Dubai with mystery brunette". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Geordie Shore's Holly Hagan: James Tindale's girlfriend is disgusting for calling me a whale!". Now. 2013-07-04. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Langley, Annabel (2012-11-13). "Ricci And Vicky's Engagement Party Turns Sour In Geordie Shore". Entertainmentwise. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "MTV Europe Music Awards: The cast of Geordie Shore - MTV EMA 2012". Digital Spy. 4 July 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Fletcher, Alex (10 January 2013). "'Geordie Shore' goes on European tour for series five". Digital Spy. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Twitter / GazGShore: Couple more hours on twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Twitter / CharlotteGShore: Packing my life into suitcases". Twitter.com. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Twitter / SophieGShore: Series 5!!!!! #Filming see". Twitter.com. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Twitter / JamesGShore: #packing can't believe it's". Twitter.com. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Geordie Shore Heads Down Under! MTV UK & Ireland, 25 February 2013
- Geordie Shore heading to Sydney for sixth series Colin Daniels, Digital Spy, 25 February 2013
- "GazGShore: Flight time ... Ill tweet if". Twitter. 2 April 2013. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Howell, Anna (4 April 2013). "Geordie Shore: Cast touch down in Australia to film series 6 after Charlotte Letitia Crosby and Gaz Beadle's worst ever fight was aired on Tuesday night!". Unreality TV. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "CharlotteGShore: Ahhhhh life is gooddddđ&#x;˜Œnow". Twitter. 2 April 2013. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "CharlotteGShore: In Singapore! It's so hot!". Twitter. 7 April 2013. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Battersby, Matilda (5 July 2013). "Geordie Shore filming suspended as stars Vicky Pattison and Holly Hagan arrested for assault". The Independent. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Geordie Shore's Sophie Removed From Show". MTV. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- Johnson, Chris (21 August 2013). "Brawl probe clears Geordie Shore's Holly Hagan". Daily Star. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "'Geordie Shore' Gaz teams with 'X Factor' The Risk on debut single - video - Geordie Shore News - Reality TV". Digital Spy. 26 November 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Twitter / HollyGShore: So just to be clear, tonight". Twitter.com. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Twitter / HollyGShore: Series 7 was a bit shorter". Twitter.com. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Twitter / JamesGShore: Not stopped all day!! Sure". Twitter.com. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Twitter / GazGShore: Last night in my own bed". Twitter.com. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Twitter / GazGShore: All shopping done !!! Home". Twitter.com. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "EXCLUSIVE! Meet Geordie Shore's New Gent Kyle | MTV UK". Mtv.co.uk. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Geordie Shore's Charlotte Crosby lands own TLC reality series - Geordie Shore News - Reality TV". Digital Spy. 15 January 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Geordie Shore's Vicky Pattison Swaps Newcastle For Paradise In 'Ex On The Beach' | MTV UK". Mtv.co.uk. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Thursday, 15 May 2014, 16:00 BST (15 May 2014). "Geordie Shore's Gaz Beadle on girlfriend, co-star fling, Charlotte Crosby - Celebrity News News". Reveal. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Geordie Shore: Vicky Pattison quits after nine series". Digital Spy.
- "James Tindale Is Geordie Shore No More - MTV UK". MTV UK.
- Hooton, Christopher (28 May 2011). "MTV's Geordie Shore was high quality programming". Metro. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- "MTV's Geordie Shore upsets locals". BBC News. 29 May 2011. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- Dutta, Kunal (26 February 2012). "The boat comes in for Geordie Shore as tourism booms - TV & Radio - Media". The Independent. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Top 10 Programmes". BARB. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Party Like a Rockstar (Up Your Game) (feat. The Risk & Emily Williams) – Single by Gaz & Olabean". iTunes Store (UK). Apple. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Geordie Shore's Holly Hagan Covers Kelis' Hit 'Milkshake' | MTV UK". Mtv.co.uk. 17 April 2009. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Geordie Shore, season 1 iTunes
- "Geordie Shore - Season 1 - Episodes". MTV Canada. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Geordie Shore - Season 1 - Episodes". MTV Australia. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Geordie Shore - Season 1". MTV. Retrieved 13 August 2013.