July 31, 1928|
|Died||November 28, 2009
|Occupation||Filmmaker (writer, director, producer)|
He joined the NFB in 1960, where his credits included La vie heureuse de Léopold Z. But after the NFB rejected several of Carle's projects, he began working independently. In 1972 Carle won the Canadian Film Award for best Director for his The True Nature of Bernadette.
In 1990, he was awarded the Government of Quebec's Prix Albert-Tessier. In 1997, Carle received a Governor General's Performing Arts Award for Lifetime Artistic Achievement, Canada's highest honour in the performing arts. In 1998, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada. In 2007, he was made a Grand Officer of the Ordre National du Quebec.
Carle died aged 81 on November 28, 2009 of complications from Parkinson's disease at the hospital in Granby, Quebec. He is survived by his son and three daughters as well as his companion of 27 years, Chloé Sainte-Marie. Quebec Premier Jean Charest described him, at his death, as one of Quebec's most influential filmmakers.
- Solange dans nos campagnes (Short film, 1964) (Re-Released as part of the 1964 anthology film Trois Femmes)
- La vie heureuse de Léopold Z (1965)
- Le viol d'une jeune fille douce (1968)
- Red (1969)
- Les mâles (1970)
- La vraie nature de Bernadette (1972)
- Les corps célestes (1973)
- La mort d'un bûcheron (1973)
- La tête de Normande St-Onge (1975)
- L'Ange et la Femme (1977)
- L'âge de la machine (Short film, 1977)
- Fantastica (1980)
- Les Plouffe (1981)
- Maria Chapdelaine (1983)
- La guêpe (aka Scalp, 1986)
- La postière (1992)
- The Other Side of the Law (1994)
- Pudding chômeur (1996)
- Dimanche d'Amérique (Short film, 1961)
- Manger (Short film Co-Directed with Louis Portugais, 1961)
- Patinoire (Short film, 1962)
- Un air de famille (Short film, 1963)
- Natation (Short film, 1963)
- Patte mouillée (Short film, 1963)
- Percé on the Rocks (Short film, 1964)
- Place à Olivier Guimond (TV documentary, 1967)
- Place aux Jérolas (TV documentary, 1967)
- Le Québec à l'heure de l'Expo (Short film, 1967)
- Stéréo (Short film, 1970)
- Les chevaliers (1971)
- Les chevaux ont-ils des ailes? (Short film, 1975)
- Les masques (TV documentary aka Carle – masques, 1978)
- Jouer sa vie (Co-Directed with Camille Coudari, 1982)
- Cinéma, cinéma (Co-Directed with Werner Nold, 1985)
- Ô Picasso (Co-Directed with Camille Coudari, 1985)
- Vive Québec, cité française... ville francophone (1987)
- 50 ans (Short film, 1989)
- Le diable d'amérique (1990)
- Montréal off (Short film, 1991)
- Moi, j'me fais mon cinéma (1999)
- Un hiver brûlant (TV episode of the series La feuille d'érable, 1971)
- A Thousand Moons (TV movie, 1976) (Created for TV series For the Record)
- Homecoming (TV movie aka Lonesome Riders, 1979) (Created for TV series For the Record)
- Le Crime d'Ovide Plouffe (TV miniseries Parts 1–4, 1983) (Parts 5–6 directed by Denys Arcand)
- Miss Moscou (TV movie, 1991)
- L'honneur des grandes neiges (TV movie, 1994) (Created for TV series Aventures dans le Grand Nord)
- Le sang du chasseur (TV movie, 1995) (Created for TV series Aventures dans le Grand Nord)
- Épopée en Amérique: une histoire populaire du Québec (TV series, 1997)
- As fully funny, Carle had pleasure to always give himself one year less, and to let people think wrongly that he was born in 1929, "The Year of the Big World Crash": see on the Quebec French newspapers that many writers verified that, after his death, and corrected his year of birth for 1928 and his age for 81. – Also see on Cinememorial the translation of what her younger daughter, Valerie Duchesne-Carle, wrote on Twitter: "He was born in 1928 not in 1929. My father always missed this little oddity."
- The Canadian Encyclopedia
- "Festival de Cannes: 50 ans". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved August 3, 2009.
- "Prix Albert-Tessier citation" (in French).
- "Gilles Carle – biography". Governor General's Performing Arts Awards Foundation. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Order of Canada citation
- "National Order of Quebec citation" (in French).
- Gilles Carle hailed as 'immense talent' The Montreal Gazette. Retrieved on November 29, 2009.
- Carle, Gilles: Scénarios 1, Boreal 2005, ISBN 2-7646-0410-6
- Carle, Gilles: Scénarios 2, Boreal 2005, ISBN 2-7646-0411-4
- Coulombe, Michel :Gilles Carle le Chemin Secret du Cinema. Liber Canada, 2005, ISBN 2-921569-16-7
- Gilles Carle at The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Gilles Carle at the Internet Movie Database
- Watch films by Gilles Carle at the National Film Board of Canada