The Godrej family, is an Indian Parsi family that manages and largely owns the Godrej Group, a conglomerate founded by Ardeshir Godrej and his brother Pirojsha Godrej in 1897, spanning sectors as diverse as real estate, consumer products, industrial engineering, appliances, furniture, security and agricultural products. Headed by Adi Godrej alongside his brother, Nadir Godrej, and cousin, Jamshyd Godrej, the family is one of the richest in India; with an estimated net worth of $11.6bn as of 2014.
The family's presence in business began in the then-Bombay in 1897, when Ardeshir Godrej, after reading a newspaper article about rising citywide crime rates, began developing and selling locks, with the assistance of his brother Pirojsha. Ardeshir Godrej died childless; Pirojsha Godrej's sons Burjor, Sohrab, and Naval succeeded in the second generation. Today, grandsons Adi, Nadir,Jamshyd manage the group. The initial venture, Godrej Brothers, has since diversified across sectors and evolved into multiple companies under the umbrella of the Godrej Group, including Godrej Industries, Godrej Agrovet, Godrej Consumer Products, Godrej Properties, Godrej Infotech, and the holding company Godrej & Boyce.
Estate in Mumbai
Among the family's most valuable assets is a 3,500-acre estate in Vikhroli, Mumbai, the value of which is estimated at $12 billion if developed; in 2011, the family announced plans to develop three million square feet by 2017, through an internal joint venture composed of Godrej Industries and Godrej Properties. For decades, the family has preserved some 1,750 acres of mangrove swamps within the estate, leading to the 2012 inclusion of Adi Godrej and Jamshyd Godrej in Forbes magazine's list of the richest green billionaires. On June 18, 2014, Godrej family bought the iconic bungalow of Homi J. Bhabha, Mehrangir, for Rs. 372 Cr  through an auction initiated by The National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA). 
- Ardeshir Godrej, cofounder of Godrej Brothers
- Pirojsha Godrej, cofounder of Godrej Brothers
- Burjor Godrej
- Sohrab Godrej
- Naval Godrej
- Adi Godrej, chairman of the Godrej Group
- Parmeshwar Godrej, socialite and AIDS activist
- Nadir Godrej, managing director of Godrej Industries and chairman of Godrej Agrovet
- Jamshyd Godrej, chairman of Godrej & Boyce
- B. K. Karanjia (1997). Godrej: The builder also grows. Penguin Books.
- B. K. Karanjia (2004). Vijitatma: founder-pioneer Ardeshir Godrej. Viking.
- B. K. Karanjia (2000). Final victory: the life and death of Naval Pirojsha Godrej. Viking.
- Sohrab Pirojsha Godrej; B. K. Karanjia (2001). Abundant living, restless striving: a memoir. Viking.
- "Godrej Family Buys Bhabha Bungalow For Rs. 372 Cr". Bloomberg TV India.
- "Homi Bhabha's iconic bungalow sold for Rs 372 crore". The Times Of India.
|This Indian business-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|