The Godwin-Austen Glacier is close to K2 in the Gilgit–Baltistan region of Pakistan. Its confluence with the Baltoro Glacier is called Concordia and is one of the most favorite spots for trekking in the area since it provides excellent views of four of the five eight-thousanders in the region.
The glacier can be approached via the important Balti town of Skardu. It receives its name from Henry Haversham Godwin-Austen, an early explorer of this region. The Karakoram peak K2 in the Himalayas was originally named Mount Godwin-Austin in his honour.
List of peaks
A list of notable peaks near Concordia includes:
- K2, 2nd highest of the world at 8611m
- Gasherbrum I, 11th highest of the world at 8,080m.
- Broad Peak, 12th highest of the world at 8,047m.
- Gasherbrum II, 13th highest of the world at 8,035m.
- Gasherbrum III, 7,946m. (Often regarded as a subpeak of Gasherbrum II.)
- Gasherbrum IV, 17th highest of the world at 7,932m.
- Masherbrum (K1), 22nd highest of the world at 7,821m.
- Chogolisa, 36th highest of the world at 7,665m.
- Muztagh Tower, 7,273m.
- Snow Dome, 7,160m.
- Biarchedi, 6,781 m
- Mitre Peak, 6,010m.
- Baltoro Glacier
- List of mountains in Pakistan
- List of highest mountains
- List of glaciers
|This Pakistan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|