Grand Prairie Township, Marion County, Ohio
|Grand Prairie Township, Marion County, Ohio|
Tree-lined farmstead driveway on Morral-Kirkpatrick Road
Location of Grand Prairie Township in Marion County
|• Total||24.3 sq mi (62.9 km2)|
|• Land||24.3 sq mi (62.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||928 ft (283 m)|
|• Density||66.3/sq mi (25.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086578|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Antrim Township, Wyandot County - north
- Dallas Township, Crawford County - northeast
- Scott Township - east
- Claridon Township - southeast corner
- Marion Township - south
- Big Island Township - southwest corner
- Salt Rock Township - west
- Pitt Township, Wyandot County - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Grand Prairie Township.
Name and history
It is the only Grand Prairie Township statewide. The only settlement in Grand Prairie Township is that of the unincorporated community of Brush Ridge.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Marion County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.