Salt Rock Township, Marion County, Ohio
|Salt Rock Township, Marion County, Ohio|
Fields south of Morral
Location of Salt Rock Township in Marion County
|• Total||24.5 sq mi (63.6 km2)|
|• Land||24.5 sq mi (63.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||912 ft (278 m)|
|• Density||28.5/sq mi (11.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086585|
Salt Rock Township is one of the fifteen townships of Marion County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 699 people in the township, 311 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pitt Township, Wyandot County - north
- Antrim Township, Wyandot County - northeast corner
- Grand Prairie Township - east
- Marion Township - southeast corner
- Big Island Township - south
- Montgomery Township - southwest corner
- Grand Township - west
- Marseilles Township, Wyandot County - northwest
The village of Morral is located in northeastern Salt Rock Township.
Name and history
It is the only Salt Rock Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- John Purdue 1802-1876, born in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. He was a famous industrialist based in Lafayette, Indiana and the primary original benefactor of Purdue University.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Marion County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.