Harrison Township, Vigo County, Indiana
Location in Vigo County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||23.54 sq mi (61.0 km2)|
|• Land||23.03 sq mi (59.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.51 sq mi (1.3 km2) 2.17%|
|Elevation||489 ft (149 m)|
|• Density||2,226.4/sq mi (859.6/km2)|
|ZIP codes||47802, 47803, 47804, 47805, 47807|
|GNIS feature ID||453398|
Harrison Township is one of twelve townships in Vigo County, Indiana, United States. As of the 2010 census, its population was 51,272 and it contained 22,940 housing units. It is entirely contained in Terre Haute's city limits, thus explaining why it is both the most densely populated and the most populated overall.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 23.54 square miles (61.0 km2), of which 23.03 square miles (59.6 km2) (or 97.83%) is land and 0.51 square miles (1.3 km2) (or 2.17%) is water.
Cities and towns
The boundaries consist of the following streets or features:
- North border: Haythorne Avenue
- West border: Wabash River
- South border: Margaret Avenue
- East border: .5 miles east of Fruitridge Street
- Otter Creek Township (northeast)
- Lost Creek Township (east)
- Riley Township (southeast)
- Honey Creek Township (south)
- Sugar Creek Township (west)
- Fayette Township (northwest)
The township contains these four cemeteries: Calvary, Grandview, Rogers and Woodlawn.
- Crystal Lake
As of the census of 2000, there are 51,898 people and 20,618 households residing in the township. The population density is 2,262/mi². The racial makeup of the township is 86.8% White, 9.3% Black or African American, 0.3% Native American, 1.0% Asian, less than 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.5% from other races, and 2.0% from two or more races. 1.2% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
The average household size is 2.29 and the average family size is 2.96. The median age is 31.6 years. For every 100 females there are 89 males.
The median income for a household in the township is $26,705, and the median income for a family is $35,135. The per capita income for the township is $14,540. 20.6% of the population and 16.4% of families are below the poverty line.
This township is served by the Vigo County School Corporation. Several schools are located in this township:
- One high school - Terre Haute North
- Two middle schools - Sarah Scott and Woodrow Wilson (A third school, named Chauncey Rose was closed)
- Ten elementary schools - Benjamin Franklin, Davis Park, Deming, DeVaney, Farrington Grove, Fuqua, Meadows, Ouabache, Sugar Grove, Terre Town
- Indiana's 8th congressional district
- State House District 43
- State House District 46
- State Senate District 38
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.