Honey Creek Township, Vigo County, Indiana
|Honey Creek Township|
Location in Vigo County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||34.08 sq mi (88.3 km2)|
|• Land||33.71 sq mi (87.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.37 sq mi (1.0 km2) 1.09%|
|Elevation||492 ft (150 m)|
|• Density||509.6/sq mi (196.8/km2)|
|ZIP codes||47802, 47803|
|GNIS feature ID||453417|
Honey Creek Township is one of twelve townships in Vigo County, Indiana, United States. As of the 2010 census, its population was 17,179 and it contained 6,509 housing units. It contains Terre Haute's main shopping district along U.S. Route 41 and is by far the most characteristically suburban of the twelve Vigo County townships. The population includes inmates from the Terre Haute Federal Penitentiary, located at its northwest corner.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 34.08 square miles (88.3 km2), of which 33.71 square miles (87.3 km2) (or 98.91%) is land and 0.37 square miles (0.96 km2) (or 1.09%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Terre Haute (southwest edge)
- Harrison Township (north)
- Lost Creek Township (northeast)
- Riley Township (east)
- Pierson Township (southeast)
- Linton Township (south)
- Prairieton Township (west)
- Sugar Creek Township (northwest)
The township contains these three cemeteries: Durham, Hull and Smith.
- Federal Bureau of Prisons Terre Haute Penitentiary (vast majority)
As of the census of 2000, there are 14,280 people and 5,794 households residing in the township. The population density is 423/mi². The racial makeup of the township is 86.4% White, 8.1% Black or African American, 0.3% Native American, 3.5% Asian, less than 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.5% from other races, and 1.1% from two or more races. 2.4% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
The average household size is 2.31 and the average family size is 2.91. The median age is 31.6 years. For every 100 females there are 118 males.
The median income for a household in the township is $42,065, and the median income for a family is $54,753. The per capita income for the township is $22,634. 6.4% of the population and 3.9% of families are below the poverty line.
- Indiana's 8th congressional district
- State House District 46
- State Senate District 39
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.