|• Total||38.16 km2 (14.73 sq mi)|
|Elevation||621 m (2,037 ft)|
|• Density||4,000/km2 (10,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC5:30)|
Hindupur is a city in Anantapur district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is situated on the banks of Penna River. It is a municipality and the second largest city in Anantapur district. It also serves as the headquarters of Hindupur mandal.
Hindupur was given its name by a Maratha Chieftain called Murari Rao, who named this town after his father Hindoji Rao, or after a king named Hindurao.
Hindupur is located at Penna River. It has an average elevation of 2,037 feet (621 metres). It is situated at a distance of 108 km from Anantapur, the district headquarters, and 100 km from the city of Bangalore.on the banks of
As of 2011[update] census of India, the city had a population of 151,835. The total population constitute, 76,625 males and 75,210 females —a sex ratio of 982 females per 1000 males, higher than the national average of 940 per 1000. 16,309 children are in the age group of 0–6 years, of which 8,263 are boys and 8,046 are girls. The average literacy rate stands at 76.40% with 103,538 literates, significantly higher than the state average of 67.41%.
Government and politics
Hindupur municipality was formed in the year 1920. It has an extent of 38.16 km2 (14.73 sq mi). During 2008-09 the total expenditure spent was ₹752.54 crore (US$120 million) and for the year 2010-11, the total income generated was ₹964.58 crore (US$150 million).
Hindupur(276) is an Assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh
Hindupur perhaps is the only constituency in the State where Telugu Desam Party (TDP) remains undefeated since its inception.
Hindupur was the native constituency of the famous actor, director and politician N.T. Rama Rao and he contested and won as M.L.A from Hindupur for 3 times and from then T.D.P is the predominant party in this constituency.
After N.T.Rama Rao, his son Hari krishna also contested from here in 1996 and became M.L.A for this constituency.
In 1999, C.C. Venkata Ramudu won as M.L.A with recorded highest majority in this constituency with 60% votes gain.
- Nandamuri Balakrishna representing Telugudesam party is the present M.L.A. of this constituency.
- List of cities in Andhra Pradesh by population
- List of cities in Andhra Pradesh by area
- List of municipal corporations in Andhra Pradesh
- "Basic Information of Municipality". Commissioner and Directorate of Municipal Administration. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Mandal wise villages" (PDF). Revenue Department - AP Land. National Informatics Center. p. 15. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Hindupur Municipality". Commisioner and Directorate of Municipal Administration. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Anantapur District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 429, 440. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Hindupur, India". fallingrain.com.
- "Sex Ratio". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Chapter–3 (Literates and Literacy rate)" (PDF). Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Hindupur railway station info". India Rail Info. Retrieved 30 July 2014.