|Starring||Daren Millard, Jeff Marek, Ron MacLean (Saturday)|
|Related shows||NHL on Sportsnet, Hockey Night in Canada|
Hockey Central is the brand used for programs and segments covering hockey (particularly the National Hockey League) on the Canadian sports channel Sportsnet. The Hockey Central name encompasses several programs, including segments aired during Sportsnet Central, pre-game reports for Hockey Night in Canada and other NHL telecasts on Sportsnet, CBC, City, and and the Sportsnet 590 radio show Hockey Central at Noon.
The typical format of Hockey Central's segments during Sportsnet Central and the Saturday show is a four-person panel of former NHL players, coaches, and GMs alongside hockey reporters and broadcasters. The members of the panel vary from day to day, but are usually from the same small pool of regulars. The show is known for (and often promotes) its sometimes fiery debates between Bill Watters and Nick Kypreos.
In the summer of 2006, host Darren Dreger left Sportsnet to join TSN. Daren Millard is the current host of most of the Hockey Central segments appearing on Sportsnet. Those segments not hosted by Millard are hosted by Jeff Marek.
Hockey Central at Noon
Hockey Central at Noon is hosted by Daren Millard and features analysts Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean. As with Prime Time Sports, it is broadcast by CJCL at Noon eastern time on weekdays as a television simulcast on Sportsnet. The program was originally hosted by Daren Millard. Between August 2010 and March 2011, it was hosted by Greg Brady, who worked the noon to 3pm shift. In March 2011, Brady was reassigned to the morning show and Millard returned as host.
When Brady was unable to host Hockey Central at Noon, Doug Farraway served as fill-in host. During the summer (from mid-June until September) during Millard's first hosting stint, Farraway took over the hosting duties from him, with Howard Berger serving as fill-in for Farraway.
Beginning on April 30, 2013, The Score began to carry Hockey Central Playoff Xtra nightly during the Stanley Cup playoffs. The announcement came shortly after the CRTC officially approved Rogers' acquisition of the network.
- Nick Kypreos
- Doug MacLean
- Gord Stellick
- Christine Simpson
- Daren Millard
- John Garrett
- Jeff Marek
- Rob Faulds
- Elliotte Friedman
- Scott Oake
- Ron MacLean (Hockey Central Saturday only)
- Kelly Hrudey (Hockey Central Saturday only)
- Greg Brady (Hockey Central at Noon only)
- Mike Brophy
- Pierre LeBrun
- Glenn Healy
- P.J. Stock
- George Stroumboulopoulos (Hockey Central Saturday only)
- "The "new" 'Hockey Night in Canada': Much of the same, for better or worse". Awful Announcing. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Rogers unveils plans for NHL broadcasts next season". Toronto Star. February 4, 2014. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- "CRTC clears way for Rogers to buy Score". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "CRTC Gives Final Approval to Rogers' Acquisition of Score Media". Broadcaster Magazine. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- That's Hockey, a competing program aired by TSN