|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
International Data Group (IDG) is an American technology media, research, event management, and venture capital organization. IDG evolved from International Data Corporation (IDC) which was formed in 1964 in Newtonville, Massachusetts, by Patrick Joseph McGovern, and a friend, Fred Kirch. IDC is now a subsidiary of IDG.
There is an international mother company (located in Boston), with a few publications. In every country where IDG is located, the publications are produced on a national level, where there is a lot of knowledge for that particular local market.
IDG’s media network features 460 websites, 200 mobile sites and apps, and 200 print titles spanning business technology, consumer technology, digital entertainment, and video games worldwide. McGovern has made billions of dollars from the growth of IDG, which has remained a private company.
IDG's subsidiary IDG World Expo produces a variety of large-scale events, such as conventions. These are typically conventions for technology businesses. IDG World Expo runs E for All, Macworld Conference & Expo, and LinuxWorld Conference and Expo.
IDG also has its own international news agency, IDG News Service. It is headquartered in Boston and has bureaus in New York, Washington, San Francisco, Tokyo, Taipei, Beijing, Singapore, Bangalore, Paris, London, Stockholm, Amsterdam and Brussels. It provides news, images, video and other editorial content to IDG's web sites and print publications worldwide.
IDG Books, which was a public company spun off from the privately held IDG, published the popular self-help "...For Dummies" books. The "...For Dummies" range was originally limited to computer related fields, but later expanded to include a much wider variety of topics. The series is now published by John Wiley & Sons. IDG Books/Hungry Minds — as IDG Books was briefly renamed before being sold to Wiley in 2001 — no longer exists as a separate company.
IDG Global Brands
- International Data Corporation (IDC), an IT market research, analysis and advisory firm
- IDG Connect
- IDG TechNetwork
- InfoWorld/ITworld/Techworld /TecChannel
- Network World
- IDG Ventures
IDG Connect, a division of International Data Group (IDG), produces, publishes and distributes local IT and business information on behalf of a truly global client base. Founded in 2006, it has offices in Framingham, Massachusetts, and Staines, Middlesex, U.K., and offers global services in lead generation, research, video, mobile apps, lead nurturing and content creation.
Rapidly establishing itself as a creator of controversial, cutting-edge reports and new localized IT content, its website has quickly become the voice of local IT opinion, expertise and analysis from around the world, winning an IMA for Outstanding Achievement in April 2012
IDG Ventures was founded in 1996; today it is a global network of venture capital funds with approximately $3.6 billion under management and a portfolio of over 220 companies built over the last 17 years. The IDG Ventures network comprises five independent partnerships managing funds in North America and Asia. Each partnership makes investments on behalf of its limited partners, including IDG. The latest San Francisco fund, formed in 2007, accepted other institutional investors in addition to IDG, which remains a major investor. Following the successful launch of the San Francisco fund, IDG organized its non-publishing investments in China into venture funds. In 2009, IDG Ventures China renamed itself IDG Capital Partners to reflect the breadth of its half dozen funds encompassing start-up venture through growth investments. In 2000, IDG started a fund in Europe; this fund is now closed. In 2001, IDG started a fund in Boston, also named IDG Ventures. The manager of the Boston fund renamed itself Flybridge Capital Partners in 2008 and is no longer associated with the IDG Ventures funds. In the 2000s, IDG started funds in Vietnam, India and Korea. As of 2013, there are five countries with IDG funds - China, Vietnam, India, Korea and the United States (San Francisco).
IDG International Activities
IDG in Europe
IDG publishes magazines and websites in 21 European countries and multipel languages. In June 2008, owner Pat McGovern said that two thirds of IDG's readership in the U.S. were online readers, while in Europe two thirds were print readers. The company has tried to address this with the launch of UK titles, Techworld and Computerworld UK and the launch of TecChannel in Germany - all three of which are online-only titles. Of the European titles, none matches Computer Sweden, the Swedish edition of Computerworld, which is a tabloid size morning newspaper published twice a week. Its turnover is larger than the German Computerwoche and is IDG's largest publication in Europe, said McGovern. Computer Sweden is printed and circulated in 40,000 copies. IDG also publishes IT Bransjen, a Norwegian trade publication for the IT sales channel in Norway. IT Bransjen is published 11 times a year, circulating 10,000 copies.
IDG in China
This subsidiary was the first investor in prominent Bitcoin business Coinbase, with a sum of $100,000 raised in 2011.
IDG in Australia
IDG has a wholly owned subsidiary based in Sydney, Australia. Employing around 70 staff, IDG Australia was incorporated in 1978 and operates local versions of the brands Computerworld, CIO, PC World, TechWorld, as well as Australian-specific brands ARN and GoodGearGuide.
- "Bureaus - IDG.com". IDG.com. IDG. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- (Chinese) Sohu.com Technology. . November 21, 2005. Retrieved March 1, 2007.
- IDG Connect lead generation http://www.idgknowledgehub.com/products/idgconnect/leadgen.php/
- iPad for Business Survey http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/16/12_of_ipad_owners_in_the_enterprise_no_longer_use_their_laptop_.html
- IDG Connect launches Ignite http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120628005002/en/IDG-Connect-Launches-Ignite-Premier-Lead-Nurturing
- SonicWALL research http://www.sonicwall.com/de/569_18706.html /
- IT Pro: analysts express mixed feelings over tablet fortunes http://www.itpro.co.uk/641194/analysts-express-mixed-feelings-over-apple-and-androids-tablet-fortunes
- The Global Content Survey 2011 http://www.marketingprofs.com/charts/2011/5601/it-pros-value-thought-leadership-vendor-content/
- Interactive Media Awards http://www.interactivemediaawards.com/winners/certificate.asp?param=91468&cat=1/
- IDG Connect Marketers http://www.idgconnectmarketers.com/
- B2B Innovator 2012 http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120629005462/en/IDG-Connect-Named-B2B-Innovator-2012-American
- American Business Awards http://www.stevieawards.com/aba/
- IDG Ventures. IDG Ventures. 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-31. "Working with great entrepreneurs to build world class companies"
- "Unik position : IDGs ordförande talar om CS, tidningar och Kina". June 27, 2008. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "TS-kontrollerad upplaga", circulation for 2007 verified by Tidningsstatistik AB (www.ts.se).
- "IT-Bransjen". IDG. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
- "How Coinbase Became the Top-Funded Bitcoin Startup". Mashable. Retrieved 2013-12-12.