INS Delhi (D61)
INS Delhi (D61) departing Portsmouth Naval Base, UK, 20 June 2009
|Ordered:||20 March 1992|
|Builder:||Mazagon Dock Limited, India|
|Laid down:||12 December 1992|
|Launched:||20 March 1995|
|Commissioned:||15 November 1997|
|Identification:||Pennant number: D61|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Delhi-class guided-missile destroyer|
|Displacement:||6,200 tonnes (full)|
|Length:||163 m (535 ft) |
|Beam:||17 m (56 ft)|
|Draught:||6.5 m (21 ft)|
|Speed:||32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph)|
|Range:||4,500 mi (7,200 km) at 18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph)|
|Complement:||350 (incl 40 officers)|
|Sensors and |
|Electronic warfare |
|Aircraft carried:||2 × Sea King Mk 42B helicopters|
INS Delhi is the lead ship of her class of guided-missile destroyers of the Indian Navy. She was built at the Mazagon Dock Limited in Mumbai and commissioned on 15 November 1997. This class is among the largest warships to be designed and built in India.
Delhi is the second vessel of the Indian Navy to bear the name. She inherits the mantle from the Leander-class cruiser of the same name, previously HMS Achilles of Battle of the River Plate fame. She had an illustrious career in the Portuguese-Indian War of 1961, during the annexation of Goa, Daman and Diu when she provided naval gunfire support.
Task Force Europe 2009
During May–July 2009, INS Delhi led the Indian Navy task force on deployment to Europe. During this deployment, the task force participated in joint-exercises with the Royal Navy and the French Navy. Exercise Konkan-09 with the Royal Navy, was conducted off the coast of the United Kingdom. Exercise Varuna 2009 with the French Navy was off the coast of France.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to INS Delhi (D61).|
- "IN Ships-Destroyers-Delhi Class". Indian Navy. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- Commodore Stephen Saunders, ed. (2004). "India". Jane's Fighting Ships 2004-2005 (107th ed.). Coulsdon: Jane's Information Group. p. 308. ISBN 978-0710626233.
- Commodore Stephen Saunders, ed. (2008). "India". Jane's Fighting Ships 2008-2009 (111th ed.). Coulsdon: Jane's Information Group. p. 324. ISBN 978-0710628459.
- "KONKAN 2009". Indiannavy.nic.in. 12 June 2009. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- "Varuna 2009". Indiannavy.nic.in. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2010.