Institute for Strategic Dialogue
The Institute for Strategic Dialogue (ISD) is a London-based ‘think and do tank’ that has pioneered policy and operational responses to the rising challenges of violent extremism and inter-communal conflict. Combining research and analysis with government advisory work and delivery programmes, ISD has been at the forefront of forging real-world, evidence-based responses to the challenges of integration, extremism and terrorism. ISD's founder and president was George Weidenfeld, Baron Weidenfeld. Its Director/CEO is Sasha Havlicek.
ISD runs a wide ranging programme of work on extremism which ranges from traditional research papers through to the facilitation of practitioners networks and the development of counter narrative tools. Their work ranges from work on Al-Qaeda through to work on the Far Right and even integration Major programmes include:
- Against Violent Extremism (AVE) network: a global network of former extremists, survivors of violence and interested individuals from the public and private sectors - working together to counter all forms of violent extremism.
- Far Right Extremism: ISD runs a programme on far-right extremism; managing a European Commission funded initiative with the Swedish government to promote European cooperation to tackle the far right.
- Youth Civil Activism Network (YouthCAN): the leading global youth network of counter-extremism activists, YouthCAN provides marketing and digital tools to spur the creation of counter-narrative content for the Millennial generation.
- Online Civil Courage Initiative (OCCI): builds on ISD’s existing partnership with Facebook to develop new understanding and responses to the challenge of hate speech and violent extremism on social media.
- Extreme Dialogue: a multi-media education resource for teachers and social workers centred on compelling films of ‘formers and survivors’ of extremism.
- One to One: an innovative engagement initiative that facilitates interventions between former extremists and young people who show serious extremist tendencies.
- Strong Cities Network (SCN): the first ever global network of municipal-level policy makers and practitioners united in building social cohesion and community resilience to counter violent extremism in all its forms.
- Policy Planners’ Network: ISD manages the PPN, a European inter-governmental network of policy chiefs from integration and interior ministries created to systematise cross-border exchange and develop upgraded, coordinated responses to the dual challenges of integration and extremism.
In delivering their projects ISD partners with governments and leaders of the technology sector such as Google. ISD also chairs the EU’s Radicalisation Awareness Network (RAN) working group on the internet and social media.
- Europe’s Middle East Mission, "ISN blog", 25 February 2014 http://isnblog.ethz.ch/international-relations/europes-middle-east-mission
- British Society for Middle Eastern Studies, Publications, Journal - Advisory Board, Sasha Havlicek http://www.brismes.ac.uk/publications/journal/108-sasha-havlicek
- Vidhya Ramalingam, Preventing and Countering Far-Right Extremism: European Cooperation, Country Reports, http://www.academia.edu/2301191/Preventing_and_Countering_Far-Right_Extremism_European_Cooperation_Country_Reports
- The Policy Planners Network on Countering Radicalisation and Polarisation (PPN), CounterExtremism.Org, https://www.counterextremism.org/about-us/ppn/
- Can a social network fight 'extremism'?, AlJazeera, May 2012, http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/googles-fight-against-extremism-0022202
- Fourth round of successful Kanishka Project counter-terrorism research proposals, “Public Safety Canada”, http://www.securitepublique.gc.ca/cnt/nws/nws-rlss/2013/20131114-2-eng.aspx
- Rachel Briggs, The Changing Face of Al Qaeda, January 2012 http://www.strategicdialogue.org/The%20Changing%20Face%20of%20Al%20Qaeda.pdf
- Vidhya Ramalingam, Old Threat, New Approach: Tackling the Far Right Across Europe, February 2014, http://www.strategicdialogue.org/ISD_New_Approach_Far_Right_Report.pdf
- Vidhya Ramalingam, Integration: What Works?, November 2013 http://www.strategicdialogue.org/Integration_Report.pdf
- Network to combat extremism and gang culture launched, BBC News, 25 April 2012 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17841681
- Old Threat, New Approach: Tackling the Far Right Across Europe- GUIDE FOR POLICY MAKERS, http://www.strategicdialogue.org/ISD_New_Approach_Far_Right_Report.pdf
- "Home". www.youthcan.net. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- "Home - Extreme Dialogue". Extreme Dialogue. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- "Home - Strong Cities Network". Strong Cities Network. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Policy Planners’ Network, “ISDEP”, http://www.isdep.eu/content/504/policy-planners-network
- Government tackles online radicalisation and 'foreign fighters', “Copenhagen Post”, http://cphpost.dk/news/government-tackles-online-radicalisation-and-foreign-fighters.5635.html
- How Can Technology Help Society Counter Violent Extremism? Network Against Violent Extremism, “Google Ideas”, https://www.google.com/ideas/projects/network-against-violent-extremism/
- RAN Internet and Social Media (@), “European Commission-Home Affairs” http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/networks/radicalisation_awareness_network/about-ran/ran-at/index_en.htm