Is This Love (Bob Marley & The Wailers song)
|"Is This Love"|
|Single by Bob Marley and the Wailers|
|from the album Kaya|
|Label||Tuff Gong Island|
|Bob Marley and the Wailers singles chronology|
"Is This Love" is a song by Bob Marley and the Wailers, released on their 1978 album Kaya. The song became one of the best-known Marley songs and was part of the Legend compilation. It peaked at number 9 in the UK charts upon its release in 1978.
A live rendition of the song can be found on the Babylon by Bus live album from Paris in 1978.
In popular culture
The original multi-tracks of this song have been made available in collectors' circles and on the Internet.
- The song is played in the movies In the Name of the Father (1995), Six Days Seven Nights (1998), Lake Placid (1999), 50 First Dates (2004) and Just Go With It (2011).
- Barbadian recording artist Rihanna covered the song during her first worldwide Good Girl Gone Bad Tour (2007—09). The performance is included in her DVD album Good Girl Gone Bad Live.
- Scott Matthews has the song as a bonus track on his album Elsewhere.
- The song is featured as the theme for the ending credits of Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball as well as its sequel, Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.
- In 1980, it was covered by The Pat Travers Band on their Crash and Burn LP.
- In 1983, Carly Simon covered the song on her album Hello Big Man.
- In 2003, it was covered by Three Plus, a Hawaiian reggae music group. Three Plus's album 3+ 4 U, which featured the cover, won the 2003 Na Hoku Hanohano Award (Hawaii's equivalent to The Grammys) for Reggae Album of the Year. Their version of "Is This Love" is also featured on the 2010 compilation album Putamayo Presents: Tribute To A Reggae Legend: Bob Marley.
- In 2006, it was covered by Karen Lane and Paul Malsom on their album Can't Help It, 33JAZZ141.
- In 2010, it was covered by Corinne Bailey Rae and released digitally as a single and on 2011's The Love E.P. This version won the Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance at 54th Grammy Awards.
- In the book Marley and Me, author John Grogan says that he and his wife Jenny came up with Marley's name when, during an argument about what to name their dog, Jenny walked to the tape deck and pushed play, and the song started playing.
- A reference to the song is made in the lyrics "Just like the song on our radio set / We’ll share the shelter of my single bed" from James Blunt's song "Stay the Night", the first single of the 2010 album Some Kind of Trouble.
- Bon Jovi's song "Lay Your Hands on Me" opens with the lyrics "you're ready, I'm willing, and able. Help me lay my cards down on the table", which bears a clear similarity to the lyrics of "Is This Love".
- Allen Stone performs the Corinne Bailey Rae version of this song on the tour of his self-titled album, Allen Stone.
- Adam Lambert covered the song in an acoustic set in Sydney, Australia, in the summer of 2012, as well as in his 2013 "We Are Glamily" world tour.
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||39|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||8|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||9|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||57|
- "The Keskidee - a community that discovered itself", Islington Local History Centre, 2009.
- Peter Gruner, "Green plaque honours Keskidee arts centre where Naomi Campbell met Bob Marley", Camden New Journal, 25 March 2011.
- Pavan Amara and Andrew Johnson, "Fire rips through pioneering black arts venue where Bob Marley shot Is This Love video", Islington Tribune, 9 March 2012.
- Mark Blunden, "Honour for arts centre where Bob Marley danced with Naomi Campbell, 7", Evening Standard, 21 March 2011.
- "Rihanna – Good Girl Gone Bad (Live)". iTunes Store (AU). Apple. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- Rubenstein, Jenna Hally (2012-08-23). "Adam Lambert Covers Bob Marley's 'Is This Love,' And DUH It's Incredible (Video)". Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Bob Marley & The Wailers – Is This Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Charts.org.nz – Bob Marley & The Wailers – Is This Love". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Bob Marley & The Wailers – Is This Love". VG-lista. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Bob Marley & The Wailers – Is This Love". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Bob Marley and the Wailers: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Swisscharts.com – Bob Marley & The Wailers – Is This Love". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Awards and achievements|
|Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance
"Climax" by Usher