This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Advisor to the Prime Minister for Institutional Reforms & Austerity|
|Assumed office |
27 August 2018
|Prime Minister||Imran Khan|
|Governor of the State Bank of Pakistan|
2 December 1999 – 1 December 2005
|Prime Minister||Zafarullah Khan Jamali|
|Preceded by||Muhammad Yaqub|
|Succeeded by||Shamshad Akhtar|
|Dean of IBA Karachi|
|Succeeded by||Farrukh Iqbal|
|Born||citation needed]17 June 1941 [|
Allahabad, British India
|Alma mater||Williams College (B.A) Boston University (Ph.D)|
Ishrat Husain is a Pakistani banker and economist who served as the dean of the Institute of Business Administration (2008-2016) and the Governor of the State Bank of Pakistan (1999-2006). He presently serves as Advisor to Prime Minister Imran Khan for Institutional Reforms & Austerity.
Born in Allahabad, British India, Husain moved to Karachi in 1947 and joined the civil service in 1964. He received his M.A in development economics in 1972 from the Williams College and his PhD from the Boston University in 1978. He joined the World Bank in 1979, working initially as the country economist for Liberia. In 1994, Husain became the chief economist for Asia-Pacific region and between 1997 and 1999 headed World Bank's operations in Central Asia. He ended his World Bank career in 1999, and was appointed as the Governor of the State Bank of Pakistan and remained until December 2005.
In 2008, he was appointed as the Dean of IBA Karachi, in 2015 he was awarded the Nishan-e-Imtiaz by President Mamnoon. He resigned as the dean of IBA in 2016, however remains the Professor Emeritus of the institute. During his tenure, IBA expanded from a solely business school to a interdisciplinary university. In 2016, Hussain joined the Woodrow Wilson Center as a resident policy fellow.
Awards and Achievements
- Jinnah Award (2005) in recognition of his outstanding and meritorious services to people as Governor of the State Bank of Pakistan.
- https://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/455831-PM-approves-constitution-of-task-force-on-civil-service-reforms. Missing or empty
- "Reformer-in-chief: In conversation with Dr Ishrat Husain". Herald Magazine. 2016-06-21. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "Meet Prime Minister Imran Khan's federal cabinet". 2018-08-20.
- "Dr. Ishrat Husain". ishrathusain.iba.edu.pk. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "IBA dean Ishrat Husain announces retirement". Daily Pakistan Global. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "Wilson Center Appoints Dr. Ishrat Husain as Public Policy Fellow". Wilson Center. 2016-05-03. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- DAWN (2006) Ishrat Hussain, late Akhtar Hameed honoured. 1 May. Retrieved on 25 April 2008.
| Governor of the State Bank of Pakistan