IUCN category IV (habitat/species management area)
|Location|| Caraș-Severin County|
|Area||176.60 hectares (436.4 acres)|
|Established||2000, designation 1982|
Bigăr (English: Bigăr Spring, but more commonly known as Bigăr Waterfall) is a protected area (nature reserve IUCN category IV) situated in the administrative territory of Bozovici, in Caraș-Severin County in southwestern Romania. On 7 June 2021, part of the Bigăr waterfall collapsed.
The Izvorul Bigăr is located at the south-west limit of the country, in the south of the Anina Mountains (a group of mountains included in the Banat Mountains), in Caraș-Severin County, on the upper Anina River, in the Cheile Nerei-Beușnița National Park.
Bigăr was one of the most unusual waterfalls in the world and one of the most beautiful in Romania. According to The World Geography, there are a number of facts that placed it as number one on the list of eight unique waterfalls around the world due to the way the water spreads and falls in tiny shreds of water, and also the fact that it is located exactly on the 45th parallel north, at the halfway point between the Equator and the North Pole.
View from above
View from side
- eunis.eea.europa.eu - Izvorul Bigar, location within Romania; retrieved on August 27, 2013
- (in Romanian)apmcs.anpm.ro - Regional Environmental Protection Agenty Caraţ-Severin; retrieved on August 27, 2013
- protectedplanet.net - Izvorul Bigar, protected area; retrieved on August 27, 2013
- (in Romanian) apmcs.anpm.ro - Environmental Protection Agenty Caraş-Severin; retrieved on August 27, 2013
- (in Romanian) cdep.ro - Law No.5 of March 6, 2000; retrieved on August 27, 2013
- The World Geography, "8 Unique Waterfalls Around the World "
- Popescu, Alina, ed. (2021-06-07). "Cascada Bigăr din Parcul Național Cheile Nerei-Beușnița s-a prăbușit" [The Bigăr Waterfall from the Nera Gorge-Beușnița National Park has collapsed]. Digi24 (in Romanian). Archived from the original on 2021-06-07. Retrieved 2021-06-07.
- Pirv, Cosmin (2021-06-07). "Situație tristă: Cascada Bigăr din Parcul Național Cheile Nerei-Beușnița s-a prăbușit VIDEO" [Sad situation: The Bigăr Waterfall from the Nera Gorge-Beușnița National Park has collapsed VIDEO]. Mediafax (in Romanian). Retrieved 2021-06-07.