Logo of the channel
|Launched||16 December 2012|
|Owned by||STAR India|
|Picture format||4:3 SDTV|
|Slogan||Bānglār Sobchèyè Bôrô Cinema Hall (The Largest Cinema Hall of West Bengal)|
|Headquarters||1107 12th floor, Shahadat Hossain Selim Road, Kolkata|
|Sister channel(s)||STAR Jalsha
|Tata Sky (India)||Channel 848|
Jalsha Movies is a Bengali language movie channel operated by STAR India. STAR India launched the 24-hour channel on 16 December 2012, after their earlier Bengali-language channel, Star Jalsha, was well received.
Star India's earlier television channel, Star Jalsha (launched in September, 2008), was well received, prompting the network to launch a 24-hour Bengali movie channel,Jalsha Movies. Jalsha Movies was launched on 16 December 2012. At the time there were three other Bengali language movie channels: Planet M Cinema, Sony Aath and Zee Bangla Cinema.
To promote the new channel, Star put 400 promotional hoardings (billboards) in Kolkata in a campaign created by Ogilvy & Mather. Bengali actor Dev was selected as brand ambassador. ITC Vivel became the lead partner of the channel.
At the time of launch Kevin Vaz, the channel's president and general manager, stated that he expected the channel to be successful and have "a good mix of advertisers". Mahendra Soni of Shree Venkatesh Films considered the channel good for the West Bengal entertainment industry, feelings echoed by film producer Srikant Mohta.
The first film telecast on Jalsha Movies was Awara (2012). At launch the channel had a library of 350 movies, 80 percent of which were recent productions. The channel also signed a 5-year contract with Shree Venkatesh Films to air their films exclusively; Vaz said that this guaranteed Jalsha Movies would have at least "60-70 per cent of Bengali movies and ... all the recent hits in past 5-7 years going forward."
- "Star bets on Bengali blockbusters with Jalsha Movies". Campaign India. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- "STAR to launch Bengali movie channel Jalsha Movies". Business Standard. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- "STAR Jalsha to launch new Bengali movie channel, ‘Jalsha Movies’". Media Avatar. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- "Star Network to launch Jalsha Movies". Exchange4Media. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- "Jalsha Movies to set pace in the Bengali movie channel space". Indian Television (website). Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- MSN article on the launch of the channel
Bangladesh BTVBTV (World)Sangsad TVGovt. Channel:General Entertainment: IndiaGovt. Channel:General Entertainment: United Kingdom United Arab Emirates Canada China
- STAR World
- STAR Chinese Channel
- STAR Chinese Movies
- STAR Entertainment Channel
- Xing Kong (47%)
- Channel [V]
- Phoenix Television (17.6%)
- antv (20%)
- Fortune STAR
- Channel [V] India
- STAR Gold
- STAR Jalsha
- STAR Movies
- Jalsha Movies
- Life OK
- Movies OK
- STAR Plus
- STAR Pravah
- STAR Utsav
- STAR World
- STAR World Premiere
- STAR Sports
- Asianet Communications
- Hathway (17%)
- STAR Vijay (81%)
- Tata Sky (30%)