Babajimi Abiola Manuwa|
18 February 1980
Sacramento, California, United States
|Other names||Poster Boy|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14.6 st)|
|Division||Light Heavyweight (185–205 Ib)|
|Reach||79 1⁄2 in (202 cm)|
|Style||Boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||London, England, UK|
Allstars Training Center|
Lions Pride MMA
Nova Força UK
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Ricardo da Silva|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Babajimi Abiola "Jimi" Manuwa (born 18 February 1980) is an American-born English mixed martial artist who competes in the light heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of September 28 2017, he is #4 in the official UFC light heavyweight rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Manuwa began training in mixed martial arts in 2007, following a weight lifting injury where he ruptured a chest muscle. He currently trains at Keddles Gym with Alan Keddle and Dino Miringou and at Nova Força BJJ with Ricardo da Silva.
Manuwa began fighting for UCMMA name in only his third professional fight, becoming the promotion's champion in his third fight under them. He successfully defended his title 5 times, more than any other champion in the company, past or present.
During this time period, Manuwa famously turned down a contract offer from the Ultimate Fighting Championship, feeling it wasn't the right time in his career to accept it. He did state that reaching the UFC was his "ultimate goal" in the future. He was then offered to fight at the UFC 138 event, but also refused that one, citing that he hadn't competed since summer of 2010, and that "If he fought on the October card that would have been after a fifteen month layoff, which is not ideal under any circumstances. You do need to be fighting regularly to stay sharp..."
He successfully defended his title for the fifth time at UCMMA 24: Hands of War, against Nick Chapman.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Having turning down a UFC contract a few years previously, Manuwa signed with the promotion in July 2012.
Manuwa made his UFC debut against TUF 8 contestant Kyle Kingsbury at UFC on Fuel TV 5, winning after 2 rounds by TKO due to doctor stoppage. The stoppage was declared after Kingsbury's left eye had swollen shut.
For his second fight with the promotion, Manuwa faced Cyrille Diabaté on 16 February 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald. Manuwa was declared the winner (TKO) after Diabaté was unable to continue after tearing a calf muscle near the end of the first round.
Manuwa returned to face Ryan Jimmo on 26 October 2013 at UFC Fight Night 30. For the second time in a row, Manuwa's opponent injured his leg during the fight and this resulted in a TKO victory for Manuwa.
Manuwa faced Alexander Gustafsson at UFC Fight Night 37 on 8 March 2014. He lost the fight via TKO in the second round. Both participants were awarded a Fight of the Night bonus for the fight.
Manuwa was expected to face Maurício Rua at UFC Fight Night 56 on 8 November 2014 in Brazil. However, on 29 October, it was announced that Manuwa had pulled out of the fight due to an injury, and that Ovince St. Preux would replace him against Rua.
After over a year away from the sport, Manuwa returned to face Jan Błachowicz on 11 April 2015 at UFC Fight Night 64. Manuwa won the fight via unanimous decision, going the distance for the first and only time in his MMA career.
Manuwa was briefly linked to a matchup with Nikita Krylov on 27 February 2016 at UFC Fight Night 84. However, Manuwa was scratched from the contest with an undisclosed injury in late December, causing the bout to be cancelled.
Manuwa was briefly linked to a bout with Glover Teixeira at UFC 208. However, the pairing was scrapped and Manuwa eventually faced Corey Anderson on 18 March 2017 in the main event at UFC Fight Night 107. Manuwa won the fight via knockout in the first round, after briefly dropping Anderson with a jab and then finishing him with a single left hook. He was awarded a Performance of the Night bonus.
Manuwa faced Jan Błachowicz in a rematch on 17 March 2018 at UFC Fight Night 127. He lost the fight via unanimous decision. Both participants were awarded Fight of the Night for their performance.
Manuwa's parents are British citizens of Yoruba descent. He was born in California and spent his early years in Nigeria before settling in London at the age of 10. MTV UK did a documentary on MMA in the UK, with Manuwa, Jack Marshman and Cory Tait being filmed in the build-ups of their fights and the training and lifestyles involved.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Ultimate Challenge MMA
- UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship (One time; first)
- Five successful title defenses
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|21 matches||17 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||17–4||Jan Błachowicz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Volkov||17 March 2018||3||5:00||London, England||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||17–3||Volkan Oezdemir||KO (punches)||UFC 214||29 July 2017||1||0:42||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||17–2||Corey Anderson||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Manuwa vs. Anderson||18 March 2017||1||3:05||London, England||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||16–2||Ovince Saint Preux||KO (punch)||UFC 204||8 October 2016||2||2:38||Manchester, England||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||15–2||Anthony Johnson||KO (punches)||UFC 191||5 September 2015||2||0:28||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–1||Jan Błachowicz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Gonzaga vs. Cro Cop 2||11 April 2015||3||5:00||Kraków, Poland|
|Loss||14–1||Alexander Gustafsson||KO (knee and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Manuwa||8 March 2014||2||1:18||London, England||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||14–0||Ryan Jimmo||TKO (leg injury)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz||26 October 2013||2||4:41||Manchester, England|
|Win||13–0||Cyrille Diabaté||TKO (leg injury)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||16 February 2013||1||5:00||London, England|
|Win||12–0||Kyle Kingsbury||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||29 September 2012||2||5:00||Nottingham, England|
|Win||11–0||Antony Rea||TKO (spinning back fist and elbows)||BAMMA 8||10 December 2011||1||5:00||Nottingham, England|
|Win||10–0||Nick Chapman||TKO (knees)||UCMMA 24: Hands of War||22 October 2011||1||2:14||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||9–0||Valentino Petrescu||KO (punch)||UCMMA 14: Invincible||7 August 2010||1||3:08||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||8–0||Reza Meldavian||TKO (punches)||UCMMA 12: Never Back Down||8 May 2010||1||3:19||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Shaun Lomas||TKO (punches)||UCMMA 9: Fighting for Heroes||5 December 2009||1||3:58||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||6–0||Luke Blythe||KO (punch)||UCMMA 6: Payback||22 August 2009||2||4:22||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Ryan Robinson||TKO (punches)||UCMMA 4: Relentless||9 May 2009||1||2:03||London, England||Won the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Jamie Hearn||Submission (guillotine choke)||UCMMA 2: Unbreakable||7 February 2009||1||1:49||London, England|
|Win||3–0||Chris Greig||TKO (punches)||UCMMA 1: Unbreakable||6 December 2008||2||1:35||London, England|
|Win||2-0||Dave Rintoul||TKO (punch)||FX3 9||13 September 2008||1||3:10||Reading, England|
|Win||1–0||Tom King||TKO (punches)||FCFN 8||26 July 2008||1||4:25||Portsmouth, England|
- "Late Bloomer". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "Fight Card - UFC 191 Johnson vs. Dodson 2". UFC.com. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "Jimi Manuwa". tapology.com. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Jimi Manuwa, now training with Gustafsson, no longer idolizing 'Shogun' - MMAjunkie". MMAjunkie.
- "Jimi Manuwa - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "MIXED MARTIAL ARTS SHOW RESULTS" (PDF). Boxing.nv.gov. September 5, 2015. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Manuwa explains UFC offer". thefightlounge.co.uk. 2011-09-19. Archived from the original on 2011-09-25.
- [dead link]
- "UCMMA 24: Hands Of War - Addicted MMA - Mixed martial arts". 7 July 2012. Archived from the original on 7 July 2012.
- "BAMMA Signs Top British Light Heavyweight Fighter". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Manuwa Draws Kingsbury At UFC On Fuel 5". YourMMA.tv. 21 July 2012. Archived from the original on 16 August 2012.
- Mike Bohn (2013-02-17). "Cyrille Diabate suffers torn right calf muscle in UFC on FUEL TV 7 defeat to Jimi Manuwa". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- Ariel Helwani (2013-08-09). "Jimi Manuwa vs. Ryan Jimmo targeted for UFC's return to England". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Steven Marrocco. "UFC Fight Night 30 results: Ryan Jimmo injury results in TKO loss to Jimi Manuwa". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 28 October 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- Staff. "Jimi Manuwa meets Alexander Gustafsson when UFC returns to London in March". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "UFC Fight Night 37 results: Alexander Gustafsson finishes Jimi Manuwa, awaits title shot". mmajunkie.com. 2014-03-08.
- "UFC Fight Night 37 results: Alexander Gustafsson knocks out Jimi Manuwa". mmamania.com. 2014-03-08.
- John Morgan (2014-03-08). "UFC Fight Night 37 bonuses: Alexander Gustafsson earns dual awards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- Thomas Myers (2014-09-03). "Shogun Rua vs Jimi Manuwa fight targeted for UFC Fight Night 56 in Brazil". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-09-03.
- Staff (2014-10-29). "Jimi Manuwa out at UFC Fight Night 56, Ovince Saint Preux now meets 'Shogun' Rua". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-29.
- Staff (2015-01-23). "UFC Fight Night 64 heads to Poland with Cro Cop-Gonzaga II, Blachowicz-Manuwa". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-04-11). "UFC Fight Night 64 results: Jimi Manuwa outstrikes Jan Blachowicz to take decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Damon Martin (2015-07-30). "Anthony Johnson now faces Jimi Manuwa at UFC 191 in Las Vegas". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-09-05). "UFC 191 results: Anthony Johnson drills Jimi Manuwa for second-round knockout". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-12-23). "Jimi Manuwa vs. Nikita Krylov added to London's UFC Fight Night 83". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-12-31). "Jimi Manuwa injured; Bout vs. Nikita Krylov at UFC Fight Night London canceled". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- Ariel Helwani (2016-08-03). "Jimi Manuwa vs. Ovince Saint Preux targeted for UFC 204". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Damon Martin (2016-10-08). "Jimi Manuwa crushes Ovince Saint Preux with highlight-reel KO". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-10-08). "UFC 204 bonuses: Bisping, Henderson, Manuwa, Alcântara pocket $50K". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- Brett Okamoto (2016-11-28). "Glover Teixeira, Jimi Manuwa agree to UFC 208 fight". espn.com. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- Dave Doyle (2016-01-07). "Jimi Manuwa vs. Corey Anderson set for UFC Fight Night London card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- Damon Martin (2017-03-18). "Jimi Manuwa flattens Corey Anderson with vicious first-round knockout in main event". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Tristen Critchfield (2017-03-18). "UFC Fight Night 107 bonuses: Manuwa, Nelson, Vera, Diakiese receive $50K checks". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Lance Pugmire (2017-05-31). "Jimi Manuwa to take on Volkan Oezdemir at UFC 214 in Anaheim". latimes.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- Dann Stupp (2018-01-14). "Jimi Manuwa vs. Jan Blachowicz rematch booked for UFC Fight Night 127 in London". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-01-04.
- Andrew Pearson (2018-03-17). "UFC Fight Night 127 results: Jan Blachowicz avenges loss to Jimi Manuwa in slugfest". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- Dan Hiergesell (2018-03-17). "UFC Fight Night 127 bonuses: Alexander Volkov's main event knockout leads $50K winners". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "Latest Music News, Charts, Playlists and Videos | MTV UK". Mtv.co.uk. 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "Jimi 'Poster Boy' Manuwa in PETA's Ink Not Mink Campaign," FameMagazine.co.uk, 10 March 2014.
- "Croydon Characters: Cage fighting helped Jimi Manuwa turn his life around". 7 February 2011.