|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
Map of Saudi Arabia with Jazan highlighted
|• Governor||Prince Muhammad bin Nasr|
|• Total||11,671 km2 (4,506 sq mi)|
|• Density||116.97/km2 (303.0/sq mi)|
Jazan Region (Arabic: جازان Jāzān) is the second smallest (smallest region is Al Bahah) region of Saudi Arabia. It stretches some 300 km along the southern Red Sea coast, just north of Yemen. It covers an area of 11,671 km² and a population of 1,365,110 at the 2010 census (preliminary result). The capital is the city of Jazan; Muhammad bin Nasser bin Abdulaziz is the current Governor.
The region includes over 100 islands in the Red Sea. Jazan is the poorest area in Saudi Arabia. 34% of Saudi families in Jazan live in poverty. The Farasan Islands, Saudi Arabia's first conservation protected area, are home to the endangered Arabian gazelle and, in winter, migratory birds from Europe.
The region divides into three parts.
- The Al-Sarawat mountains inland, which rise to about 3,000 metres.
- The Alhazoun forest district consists of forest broken by some areas of rich pasture.
- The plains are noted for the production of coffee beans, cereal grain crops (barley, millet and wheat) and fruit (apples, bananas, grapes, mangoes, papayas, plums and citrus varieties).
Though the climate on the highlands is similar to the relatively wetter climate of 'Asir, the coastal regions of Jazan province are part of Tihamah, probably the hottest place in the country, with mean maximum temperatures ranging from 40 °C (104 °F) in July to 31 °C (88 °F) in January. High humidity from coastal lagoons makes the climate even less bearable than it would be otherwise. Rainfall is extremely low at less than 75 millimetres (3 inches) per year. Sabya is located in the center between the mountain and the beach.
The region is sub-divided into 14 governorates as follows:
15 September 2004
28 April 2010
|Abu Arish||أبو عريش||123,943||197,112|
|Ahad Almasarihah||أحد المسارحة||70,038||110,710|
Arrayth is one of the most beautiful mountains in the south of Saudi Arabia. Farasan is a group of islands.
Arabic language is native to over 90% of the inhabitants.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jazan Province.|
- A travel through the province of Jizan, Splendid Arabia: A travel site with photos and routes
- S.I. Bruk, Narody Peredney Azii (1960);
- S.I. Bruk, and V. S. Apenchenko, Atlas Narodov Mira (Moscow: Academy of Science, 1964)
- A. Gabriel, Religionsgeographie von Persien (Vienna, 1971).
||Makkah Region||Asir Region|
- "Poverty in the Kingdom of Gold". Retrieved 24 August 2013.