She is best known for playing Jackie in the 1982 film Starstruck. Even though the film never had a proper US release, it found a cult following on cable television. The film spawned a soundtrack album, which includes the hit single, "Body and Soul", sung by Kennedy. It was written (as "She Got Body She Got Soul") by Tim Finn of Split Enz. The single made number five on the Australian Kent Music Report Singles Chart in May 1982.
Kennedy featured in the 1986 television special, The Pack of Women. She appeared on the soundtrack album (and its single "Is That Me?") and was nominated for an ARIA Award for Best Female Artist in 1987. She was nominated for an AFI Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role for the film Tender Hooks in 1988. Kennedy's later roles include the telemovie Waiting at the Royal, for which she was nominated for an AFI Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Telefeature or Mini Series in 2000.
- Starstruck (1982)
- Wrong World (1985)
- Tender Hooks (1989)
- Golden Braid (1990)
- The Flying Doctors (1991; as Eve Rutherford, recurring guest role)
- Waiting at the Royal (2000)
- "'She Got Body She Got Soul' at APRA Search Engine". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- Kent, David (March 1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book Ltd. ISBN 978-0-646-11917-5. Note: Used for Australian Singles and Albums charting from 1974 until Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) created their own charts in mid-1988. In 1992, Kent back calculated chart positions for 1970–1974.
- "Berlinale: 1985 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 13 January 2011.