John Hubbard, 1st Baron Addington
Hubbard was born at Stratfield Grove, Sussex, the son of John Hubbard and his wife Marianne Morgan. He was a merchant in the City of London being head of the firm 'J. Hubbard & Co.', Russian Merchants. He was a director of Guardian Fire and Life Assurance Co and a director of the Bank of England, later rising to become successively Deputy Governor and then Governor of the Bank of England. He was of Chairman of the Public Works and Exchequer Loan Committee between 1853 and 1875. Hubbard was a JP and Deputy Lieutenant for Buckinghamshire and the City of London. In his lifetime Hubbard was active in the funding Canon Nathaniel Woodard's national network of Woodard Schools.
Hubbard was as elected as a Member of Parliament (MP) for Buckingham at the 1859 general election. He was re-elected in 1865, but when Buckingham's representation was reduced to one MP at the 1868 general election he was defeated. He returned to the House of Commons at the 1874 general election when he was elected as one of the four MPs for the City of London, and held the seat until he was created 1st Baron Addington, of Addington, Buckinghamshire on 22 July 1887. He was invested as a Privy Counsellor in 1874.
Hubbard died at Addington Manor, Buckinghamshire at the age of 84.
Hubbard married Hon. Maria Margaret Napier, daughter of Captain William John Napier, 9th Lord Napier of Merchistoun and Eliza Cochrane-Johnstone, on 19 May 1837, and they had the following children:
- Hon. Alice Eliza Hubbard (1841–1931)
- Egerton Hubbard, 2nd Baron Addington (1842–1915)
- Francis Edward Hubbard (1844–1871)
- Hon. Lucy Marian Hubbard (1845–1893)
- Hon. Cecil John Hubbard (1846–1926)
- Hon. Arthur Gellibrand Hubbard (1848–1896)
- Hon. Rose Ellen Hubbard (1851–1933)
- Hon. Evelyn Hubbard (1852–1934)
- Hon. Clemency Hubbard (1856–1940)
- the Perage,com
- "Deputy Governors of the Bank of England" (PDF). Bank of England. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- Debretts Guide to the House of Commons 1886
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. pp. 69–70. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Craig, page 6
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by John Hubbard
- Portraits of John Gellibrand Hubbard Addington, 1st Baron Addington at the National Portrait Gallery, London
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Harry Verney
|Member of Parliament for Buckingham
With: Sir Harry Verney
Sir Harry Verney
Baron Lionel de Rothschild
Robert Wigram Crawford
|Member of Parliament for City of London
1874 – 1887
With: George Goschen to 1880
Philip Twells to 1880
William Cotton to 1885
William Lawrence 1880–85
Sir Robert Fowler, Bt 1880–91
Sir Robert Nicholas Fowler
|Governor of the Bank of England
Thomas Matthias Weguelin
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron Addington