John Paul II High School (Greymouth)
|John Paul II High School|
|Type||Integrated secondary (year 9-13) co-ed|
|Motto||Christ is the Key|
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||304|
|Principal||Mr Kieran Stone|
|School roll||179 (2012)|
John Paul II High School, Greymouth is an integrated Catholic, co-educational Year 9 to Year 13 (Form 3-7) secondary school located in Greymouth, New Zealand. The school was founded in 1980 from the amalgamation of two schools, St Mary’s High School, operated by the Sisters of Mercy (who arrived in Greymouth in 1882) and Marist Brothers Boys’ School operated by the Marist Brothers (founded in 1892). John Paul II High School was integrated into the State education system by the agreement of the proprietor of the school the (Catholic Bishop of Christchurch) and the Minister of Education in 1983. The staff of the school is now made up of nearly all lay people.
Philosophy and Mission Statement
The School is at the center of a community made up of the staff, students, parents/caregivers and the wider community made up of the members of two Parishes: St Patrick’s, Greymouth and St Mary’s, Hokitika. As well as the teachers and parents of St Patrick’s Primary School, past pupils and the wider Catholic Community of the Grey District, Hokitika, Christchurch Diocese and the Inangahua District/Reefton, Parish of the Wellington Diocese.
John Paul II High School offers families a comprehensive education in a school culture which nurtures and encourages individuals to achieve their full potential in personal academic excellence, personal growth and life in faith in accordance with the values of Jesus Christ and Catholic tradition.
- "Review of Deciles", New Zealand Education (Retrieved 18 December 2014)
- Pat Gallager, The Marist Brothers in New Zealand Fiji & Samoa 1876-1976, New Zealand Marist Brothers' Trust Board, Tuakau, 1976.
- Greymouth Sisters of Mercy centennial, 1882-1982 : Convent of Mercy Greymouth, Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Convent Brunner, Sacred Heart Convent Cobden, St. Joseph’s Convent Runanga, Greymouth Evening Star, Greymouth 1982.
- Reflect, rejoice : Sisters of Mercy celebrate one hundred years in Greymouth, Mercy Centennial Planning Committee, Greymouth, 1982.
- Michael O'Meeghan S.M., Held firm by faith : a history of the Catholic Diocese of Christchurch, 1840-1987, Catholic Diocese of Christchurch, Christchurch, 1988.
- Peter Kerridge, Marist memories, 100 : a 1992 record of the presence in Greymouth over the last one hundred years of the Marist Brothers, the schools that have developed in that time, and the activities of some of the pupils who have been prepared so well for life in the community, 1892 - 1992, Marist Brothers Centennial Celebrations Committee, Greymouth, 1992.
- Michael King, God's farthest outpost : a history of Catholics in New Zealand, Viking, Auckland 1997.
- John Paul II High School School Prospectus 2012
|This New Zealand school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|