March 30, 1985 |
Aurora, Colorado, USA
|Alma mater||Towson University|
|Occupation||Game Designer, Game Programmer, Producer, Entrepreneur|
|Known for||Civilization 5|
Jon Shafer is an American designer and programmer of computer games. He was the lead designer of the strategy game Civilization V, developed by Firaxis. In 2015 he made it known that he suffers from schizoid personality disorder.
Currently, Shafer is the president of Conifer Games, a video games development company he founded in 2012. The studio's first title is Jon Shafer's At The Gates, a 4X strategy game similar to Civilization in which players command a barbarian kingdom with the goal of defeating both rival tribes and the waning Roman Empire. The budget for developing At the Gates is primarily made up of funds raised through a Kickstarter campaign held in February 2013.
Shafer runs a blog named Jon Shafer on Design where he writes articles on the subjects of game design and project management. He also serves as co-host for The Game Design Round Table, a weekly podcast where Shafer and fellow designer Dirk Knemeyer are typically joined by guests to discuss topics relating to digital and tabletop game design.
Life and career
These interests led Shafer to Sid Meier's Civilization series. He developed fan mods for Civilization III while in high school, and became a beta tester for the Civilization III expansion pack, Conquests, and Civilization IV. Early in Civilization IV's development he wrote an extensive guide explaining how to utilize its Python scripting language, and this led to him joining Firaxis for a programming internship in February 2005. Shafer was later hired full-time, and served as a designer and programmer on the two Civilization IV expansions, Warlords and Beyond the Sword.
Following the completion of Beyond the Sword, Shafer was named the lead designer and principal gameplay programmer for Civilization V, the next full title in the series. While in this role, Shafer drew from his past modding experience and from computer games he had played as a child, most notably Panzer General.
In January 2011, Shafer joined Stardock to lead an unannounced game project and assist with development on the Elemental series. In February 2013, he announced that he had left Stardock and founded Conifer Games, and was now developing a new 4X title, At the Gates.
Shafer attended Colorado State University from 2002-2005, studying History and Computer Science. After acquiring a position at Firaxis he left Colorado State but later completed his undergraduate study at Towson University in 2006 with a BS in History.
- "Shirk: Sid Meier's 'Rule of 33s' Reigns For Civilization V". Gamasutra. June 11, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "Jon Shafer's At The Gates by Jon Shafer - Road to Release". Kickstarter.com. November 24, 2015. Retrieved March 16, 2016.
- "Jon Shafer's At the Gates: New strategy studio Conifer Games is starting small but has huge ambitions". VentureBeat.com. February 6, 2013. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- "Jon Shafer's At the Gates by Jon Shafer - Kickstarter". Kickstarter.com. February 6, 2013. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Shafer, Jon. "Jon Shafer on Design". Wordpress.com. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "They Could Be Heroes: Conifer Games At The Gates". Polygon.com. February 6, 2013. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- "Jon Shafer's Guide to Python in Civ4". Apolyton.net. July 8, 2007. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- "Features - Building Civilization V". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Civilization V: Interview". Strategy Informer. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- Magrino, Tom (2011-01-04). "Civ V lead joins Stardock". GameSpot.com. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Jon Shafer". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Meet the Civilization V Development Team". 2K Games. June 29, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2013.