José Luis Gayà
Gayà playing for Valencia in 2015
|Full name||José Luis Gayà Peña|
|Date of birth||25 May 1995|
|Place of birth||Pedreguer, Spain|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 May 2015.
Born in Pedreguer, Alicante, Valencian Community, Gayà was a product of Valencia CF's youth system, where he started playing as a striker – scoring over 60 goals in one year – before switching to left back. He made his senior debuts with the reserves at not yet 17, playing 21 minutes in a 1–0 away win against Andorra CF for the Segunda División B championship. It would be his only appearance of the season.
On 30 October 2012 Gayà appeared in his first official game with the main squad, playing the full 90 minutes in a 2–0 win at UE Llagostera for the campaign's Copa del Rey. He made his first appearance in the UEFA Europa League on 12 December of the following year, in a 1–1 group stage home draw against FC Kuban Krasnodar.
Gayà played his first game in La Liga with the Che on 27 April 2014, starting and featuring the full 90 minutes in a 0–1 home loss against eventual champions Atlético Madrid. On 3 August he scored the first goal in a 3–1 win over S.L. Benfica, in that year's Emirates Cup.
Gayà was made a starter by new manager Nuno Espírito Santo in 2014–15. He scored his first goal as a professional and in the Spanish top flight on 25 September 2014, grabbing his team's second in a 3–0 home success against Córdoba CF. His second came in the domestic cup on 7 January of the following year, helping to a 2–1 win over RCD Espanyol also at the Mestalla Stadium.
- As of 25 May 2015
- Valencia's latest left-back sensation chased by Arsenal and yet to commit at Mestalla, FourFourTwo, 3 February 2015
- El Valencia resuelve a balón parado (Valencia gets job done through set pieces); Marca, 30 October 2012 (Spanish)
- Kuban exit after Valencia draw; UEFA.com 12 December 2013
- Garcia goal opens up gap; ESPN FC, 27 April 2014
- Benfica 1–3 Valencia — Match report; Arsenal's official website, 3 August 2014
- Alcácer, Gayà y Feghouli traen el liderato (Alcácer, Gayà and Feghouli bring first place); Super Deporte, 26 September 2014 (Spanish)
- El Valencia aprovecha la inercia (Valencia profits from inertia); Marca, 7 January 2015 (Spanish)
- José Luis Gayà renews contract through to 2020; Valencia's official website, 8 May 2015
- Gayá renueva hasta 2020 (Gayá renews until 2020); Marca, 8 May 2015 (Spanish)
- José Luis Gayà at ESPN FC
- Valencia official profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Stats and bio at CiberChe (Spanish)
- José Luis Gayà profile at Soccerway