Juan dela Cruz (TV series)
|Juan Dela Cruz|
|Genre||Action, Fantasy, Family Drama, Romance, Comedy|
|Created by||Rondel P. Lindayag |
|Developed by||Julie Anne R. Benitez |
Lino S. Cayetano
Ethel M. Espiritu
|Written by||Dindo Perez |
John Joseph Tuason
|Directed by||Malu L. Sevilla |
Avel E. Sunpongco
Francis E. Pasion
Jojo A. Saguin
Darnel Joy R. Villaflor
|Creative director(s)||Johnny delos Santos|
|Starring||Coco Martin |
|Opening theme||Maging Sino Ka Man |
by Martin Nievera
|Composer(s)||Idonnah Lopez Villarico |
Rommel C. Villarico
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|No. of episodes||188 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Eileen Angela T. Garcia |
Hazel B. Parfan
|Producer(s)||Bryan Paul Ramos|
|Running time||30-45 minutes |
Monday to Friday at 19:45 (PST)
|Production company(s)||Dreamscape Entertainment Television|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||February 4– October 25, 2013|
|Preceded by||Princess and I|
|Related shows||My Little Juan|
Juan dela Cruz is a 2013 Philippine superhero television series created by Rondel P. Lindayag and Dindo Perez, developed by Julie Anne R. Benitez, Lino S. Cayetano, Ethel M. Espiritu, Dindo Perez, and Shugo Praico, and directed by Malu L. Sevilla, Avel E. Sunpongco, Francis E. Pasion, Jojo A. Saguin, and Darnel Joy R. Villaflor. It starred Coco Martin as Juan dela Cruz, a half-tagabantay and half-aswang who was trained to become the next Tagabantay and serves as a hero to protect the people from aswangs. It was the fifth television drama in the Philippines made by ABS-CBN to be filmed in high definition. The series aired on ABS-CBN's Primetime Bida evening block and worldwide on The Filipino Channel from February 4, 2013 to October 25, 2013, replacing Princess and I.
The show was originally a film concept intended to be directed by Richard Somes for the 2012 Metro Manila Film Festival. It was to be topbilled by Coco Martin, Jake Cuenca, Albert Martinez and Maja Salvador. In August 2012, Cinemedia Films Production Incorporated and ABS-CBN Unit Head, Deo Endrinal confirmed that it would be serialised into a television drama to be directed by Malu Sevilla. Earlier reports claimed that Angel Locsin would be Martin's leading lady, after her two-year hiatus in television, but was later replaced by Erich Gonzales.
It is under the production of Dreamscape Entertainment TV managed by Roldeo T. Endrinal and Julie Anne R. Benitez whose projects include the top-rating dramas Ina, Kapatid, Anak and Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw. The drama series is broadcast in full high definition and is dubbed to be the "most expensive and biggest drama" to date. A TV special titled "Juan dela Cruz: Ang Simula (The Beginning)" was aired on February 1, 2013 featuring exclusive behind-the-scenes footage and cast interviews of the highly anticipated drama, hosted by Kim Atienza.
The Tagabantay (Guardian) is a hero coming from an ancient lineage of defenders using the Bakal na Krus (Iron Cross) to protect the humans from the Aswang, who are strange creatures that spread evil, kill, and eat people. The Bakal na Krus transforms into five weapons, namely: Espada ng Katapangan (Sword of Bravery), Pana ng Karunungan (Bow of Wisdom), Latigo ng Katarungan (Whip of Justice), Sibat ng Kagitingan (Spear of Courage), and the Kalasag ng Anking Galing (Shield of Aptitude).
The Aswangs and Tagabantay are mortal enemies. The story started when Amelia (Mylene Dizon), the current Tagabantay and Samuel Alejandro (Albert Martinez), the current Haring Aswang (King Aswang), fell in love with each other, not knowing their real identities. Upon knowing one’s secrets, they tried to kill each other but Samuel chose to escape instead of killing the woman he loves—even if that’s what he should do to protect his race. Samuel did not know that he has a son with Amelia. Amelia struggled giving birth to her son, so she died right after giving birth. The boy was named Juan dela Cruz. He became an orphan boy who was brought up in a church by a Roman Catholic parish priest named Father Cito (Jaime Fabregas), who guided him towards goodness and faith upon Jesus. His devotion to Christ led Juan to refer to Jesus as "bossing" (Filipino for "boss", due to Jesus being considered as the "shepherd", or "boss", and the "flock" the followers of Jesus). One day, Father Cito was killed by a thief, and Juan ends up at Lola Belen's house in Quiapo, Manila. As he grows up, he started to long for his father. By the time he turned 20, Juan later joins the Kapatiran (Brotherhood), a group composed of people who seek to destroy the Aswangs. The group help train Juan into becoming the next Tagabantay. He fell in love with a woman named Rosario (Erich Gonzales), the daughter of the Kapatiran leader. Juan is known for his "bad boy" image due to his mildly rude behavior and immature attitude and perception in life but has a strong faith in God, compassionate, selfless, and righteous.
Juan Dela Cruz (Coco Martin) is a half-Tagabantay and a half-aswang. He inherited the Bakal na Krus from his mother to protect the humans from the Aswangs and spread peace, justice, faith, and to fulfil his biggest mission—to kill the prophesied Anak ng Dilim (Son of Darkness) in the future. However, since Juan is the son of the Aswang King, he himself is the prophesied Anak ng Dilim, the most powerful Aswang which is set to rule over the entire Aswang race, create the Tatlong Araw ng Kadiliman (Three Days of Darkness), and destroy his mortal enemy, the future Tagabantay, which also happens to be him.
When Juan turned 21, his life as a hero began. He was not completely aware that he has an Aswang blood, all he knows is that he is a Tagabantay who has a duty of protecting people, killing the aswangs, and finding the Anak ng Dilim (without knowing that it is him) and the Haring Aswang (without knowing that it is his father) to kill them. What if his allies, the Kapatiran including Rosario, will have to treat him as an enemy and aim to destroy him because of his identity?
What will happen if the Anak ng Dilim and Tagabantay, who are supposed to be mortal enemies, combined in a single entity? Most importantly, is love enough for Juan (an aswang) and Rosario (whose aim is to destroy aswangs) to conquer odds and change their fate?
- Coco Martin as Juan dela Cruz / Anak ng Dilim
- Erich Gonzales as Rosario Galang
- Albert Martinez as Samuel Alejandro
- Gina Pareño as Belen Gonzales
- Eddie Garcia as Julian "Lolo Juls" dela Cruz
- Neil Coleta as Asiong
- Arron Villaflor as Police Sr. Inspector Mikael "Kael" Reyes
- Zsa Zsa Padilla as Laura Reyes-Alejandro
- Joel Torre as Jose "Mang Pepe" Guerrero
- Shaina Magdayao as Prinsesa Mira
- Diana Zubiri as Peru-ha / Saragnayan
- Lotlot de Leon as Cora Galang
- William Lorenzo as Ben Galang
- Louise Abuel as Pikoy
- John Medina as Agustin Magdiwang
- Lilia Cuntapay as Babaylan
- MC Calaquian as Queenie
- Precious Lara Quigaman as Reyna Nerea
- Martin del Rosario as Bagno
- Marlann Flores as Liway
- Maricar Reyes as Tatlong Maria
- John Regala as Agor
- Jhong Hilario as Poldo
- James Blanco as Emil
- Gretchen Barretto as Helen
- Bugoy Cariño as Kyle
- Epi Quizon as Franco
- Richard Quan as James
- Ella Cruz as Rebecca
- Jane Oineza as Shermaine
- Jason Abalos as Omar
- Jovit Baldivino as himself
- Chokoleit Garcia as Lorelei Cortez
- Lassie Marquez as Ariel
- Zaijan Jaranilla as Tonton
- Vangie Labalan as Laura's maid
- Jong Cuenco as Warden Galvan
- Vice Ganda as Santana
- Susan Africa as Debbie
- Joshen Bernardo as Gabby
- Lito Pimentel as Victor
- Xyriel Manabat as Tata
- Ron Morales as Abdul
- Ivan Carapiet as Slart
- Kean Cipriano as Peter
- David Chua as Bruce
- Slater Young as Tony
- Mylene Dizon as Amelia dela Cruz†
- Jaime Fabregas as Fr. Ramoncito "Cito" Gonzales†
- Izzy Canillo as young Juan
- Alyanna Angeles as young Rosario
- Polo Gander as young Emil
- Lance Lucido as young Asiong
- Jomari Yllana as young Julian
- Nina Ricci Alagao as Milagros
- Kristel Fulgar as young Amelia
- Belle Mariano as young Mira
- Tonton Gutierrez as Haring Mana-on
- Ronnie Lazaro as Dalik
|Juan dela Cruz: The Official Soundtrack|
|Soundtrack album by |
|Genre||R&B, P-pop, hip hop|
|1.||"Maging Sino Ka Man"||Martin Nievera||3:11|
|2.||"Maging Sino Ka Man (Duet Version)"||Martin Nievera and Zsa Zsa Padilla||3:25|
|3.||"Sa Isang Sulyap Mo"||Bryan Termulo||4:06|
|4.||"Alab ng Puso"||Abra||4:09|
|5.||"Pusong Bato"||Jovit Baldivino||3:53|
|Juan dela Cruz: The Official Soundtrack Volume 2|
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||July 28, 2013|
|Genre||R&B, P-pop, pop rock|
|1.||"Maghintay Ka Lamang"||Roel Manlangit||3:55|
|2.||"Sana'y Kapiling Ka"||Angeline Quinto||3:44|
|3.||"Kaibigan Lang Pala"||Liezel Garcia||3:56|
|5.||"Ibong Ligaw"||Juana Cosme||4:12|
Jesse Lasaten and Von Guzman composed the show's background music using choir, duduk, bullroarer, Yamaha GX-1, and other instruments such as the balalaika for the Kapatiran theme in the drama with a full orchestra. The music was made by the Hollywood Studio Symphony.
Jesse Lasaten, after doing work on the epic historical war film El Presidente, composed the background music of Juan Dela Cruz. He used some instruments such as the bullroarer, didgeridoo, Moog synthesizer, and ocarina to make the show's score.
After 3 weeks of airing, Juan dela Cruz quickly rose to becoming one of the most successful action fantasy-drama of all time registering 42.6% viewership ratings nationwide according to the February 21 data released by Kantar Media.
|Pilot Episode||Finale Episode||Peak||Average|
February 4, 2013
October 25, 2013
February 21, 2013
My Little Juan
After the primetime success of Juan dela Cruz, the show was later given a follow-up series called My Little Juan, which tells more about Juan's childhood before he was known as the new Tagabantay. The series premiered on May 20, 2013 and ended on September 13, 2013.
|2014||GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards ||Top Rating Primetime Drama||Juan dela Cruz||Won|
- Coco Martin plays superhero in Juan dela Cruz
- Erich goes from 'unang aswang' to 'aswang hunter'
- Margie, blessed to work with Coco
- Juan dela Cruz Teaser
- 14 Scripts Beat MMFF Deadline
- Angel Locsin and Coco Martin to star in new teleserye Juan dela Cruz
- Angel Locsin And Coco Martin Are Set To Team-Up In Upcoming Drama For 2013
- Coco Martin And Erich Gonzales Set To Star In Teleserye “Juan dela Cruz”
- ABS-CBN's Dreamscape Setting High Standards in Primetime Teleserye
- Bernandino-reveals-why-coco-martin-never-courted-her/ Margie Bernandino reveals why Coco Martin never courted her
- Why 'Juan dela Cruz' is this year's 'biggest series'
- Juan dela Cruz: Ang Simula
- Top 15 Most-Watched TV Programs in February 2013 - LionhearTV Archived 2013-10-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Top 15 Most-Watched TV Programs in March 2013 - LionhearTV Archived 2013-10-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Top 15 Most-Watched TV Programs in April 2013 - LionhearTV Archived 2013-10-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Top 15 Most-Watched TV Programs in May 2013 - LionhearTV Archived 2013-10-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Top 15 TV Programs in June 2013 according to Kantar Media - LionhearTV Archived 2013-10-21 at the Wayback Machine.
- Kantar Media: Top 15 Most-Watched TV Programs in July 2013 - LionhearTV Archived 2013-10-21 at the Wayback Machine.
- Kantar Media: Top 15 Most-Watched TV Programs in August 2013 - LionhearTV Archived 2013-10-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Kantar Media: Top 15 Most-Watched TV Programs in September 2013 - LionhearTV Archived 2013-10-08 at the Wayback Machine.
- Top 15 Most-Watched TV Programs in October 2013 - LionhearTV Archived 2014-02-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- NATIONAL TV RATINGS (Urban + Rural): October 25, 26, 27, and 28, 2013
- 'Juan dela Cruz' nationwide ratings soars to 42.6%
- "Complete List of Winners: 45th Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards 2014". The Summit Express. Retrieved 2014-05-019.