|City||Grand Rapids, Minnesota|
|Branding||Northern Community Radio|
|Repeater(s)||90.5 KBXE (Bagley)|
|First air date||1976|
|Callsign meaning||KAXE "The Cutting Edge"|
|Owner||Northern Community Radio|
KAXE (91.7 FM) is a community licensed public radio station serving Northern Minnesota communities, including Grand Rapids, Brainerd, Bemidji, Virginia, Chisholm and Hibbing. The station airs locally produced news, talk, and music programming. It is a member of Ampers, a group of public radio stations in Minnesota that are not affiliated with Minnesota Public Radio. It is also a member of National Public Radio, and is the only full NPR member in the state that is not an MPR affiliate.
In May 2005, the station moved into a new, larger studio space on the Mississippi River in Grand Rapids (previously, the station had been based at Itasca Community College, the local community college). There are two additional translators located in Brainerd (K210DR 89.9 FM) and Ely (K280AT 103.9 FM).
As of March 2012, KAXE has a sister station, KBXE. Licensed to Bagley, KBXE's studios are at 305 America Ave NW in Bemidji. It broadcasts on a frequency of 90.5 and has a 50,000 watt transmitter.The broadcast tower is west of Bemidji, near Shevlin.
|KAXE 91.7 MHz||Grand Rapids||100,000 watts||C1|
|KBXE 90.5 MHz||Bagley||50,000 watts||C2|
|K210DR 89.9 MHz||Brainerd||115 watts||D|
|K280AT 103.9 MHz||Ely||117 watts||D|
- KAXE official website
- KBXE official page
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KAXE
- Radio-Locator information on KAXE
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KAXE
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K210DR
- Radio-Locator information on K210DR
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K280AT
- Radio-Locator information on K280AT
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K287AD
- Radio-Locator information on K287AD