|Directed by||Singeetam Srinivasa Rao|
|Produced by||P. L. Thenappan|
|Music by||Karthik Raja|
|Edited by||N. P. Satish|
|Distributed by||Rajkamal International|
Kaathala Kaathala is a 1998 Tamil language comedy film directed by Singeetam Srinivasa Rao and produced by P. L. Thenappan. The film stars Kamal Haasan, Prabhu Deva, Soundarya and Rambha in the lead roles with an ensemble cast in supporting roles. The film released on 14 April 1998, to positive reviews and became a commercial success.
Ramalingam (Kamal Haasan) & Sundaralingam (Prabhu Deva) are simpletons who are always in search of ways to earn a quick buck. Sundaralingam is an artist with good talent, while Ramalingam is the business brain who brings in money, mostly by fraudulent means. They fall in love — Sundaralingam with Janaki (Rambha) and Ramalingam with Sundari (Soundarya). Both are students of art.
Janaki's father Paramasivam (M. S. Viswanathan) rejects Sundaralingam. Sundari convinces Janaki to write letters falsifying Sundaralingam's rise to fame and big money, eventually lying that Janaki & Sundaralingam now have a son, in order to win over the parents with sentiment. Janaki's dad, worried that his grandson might be brought up poorly, arrives at a mansion that has been set up to look like Sundaralingam's new property, along with her mom Parbathy (Srividya). Meanwhile, Sundari's dad Balamurugan (Moulee) also makes an unexpected stop there to check on his daughter.
A small misunderstanding during introductions and progressively bigger lies to cover the initial lies lead to a side-splitting laugh riot. How those four eventually overcome their problems and find happiness forms the rest of the story.
- Kamal Haasan as Ramalingam
- Prabhu Deva as Sundaralingam
- Soundarya as Sundari
- Rambha as Janaki
- Vadivelu as Singaaram
- M. S. Viswanathan as Paramasivam
- Moulee as Balamurugan
- Cho Ramaswamy as Varadachaari
- Nagesh as Chokkalingam
- Srividya as Parvathy
- S. N. Lakshmi as Noorjahan
- Delhi Ganesh
- Kovai Sarala
- Ajay Rathnam as Williamson
- Cochin Haneefa as Vikadananda (V Anand)
- Crazy Mohan as Mohan
- Madhan Bob
- Master Mahendran
- Omakuchi Narasimhan
- Bilal ( Doctor ) Himself
Kaathala Kaathala was initially expected to be directed by K. S. Ravikumar who directed the successful Avvai Shanmughi with Kamal Haasan in the lead earlier, but he was later replaced by Singeetam Srinivasa Rao after he refused to sign the film until the FEFSI strike of 1997 had stopped. Actresses Meena and Simran's unavailability led to Rambha being cast in a lead role. Nagma also opted against signing the film fearing that a potential clash may arise with actress Rambha, after the pair's alleged fall out on the sets of Janakiraman. After Soundarya's death in 2004, Kamal Haasan paid tribute by revealing that "she came forward to do the movie, when the rest of the industry was unwilling to work with me (Kamal Haasan)".
Kaathala Kaathala was released on 14 April 1998. Critics from Indolink.com gave the film a positive review, citing that "if one can put the inspirations behind, the movie is quite enjoyable" and that "the going gets very complicated and absolutely hilarious". The film was later dubbed into Telugu as Navvandi Lavvandi and released in early 1999.
In 2010, the producer of the film P. L. Thenappan threatened legal action against the makers of the Hindi film, Housefull for remaking scenes from the film without permission. Thenappan revealed he had dubbed the film into Hindi in the late 1990s as Mirchi Masala, but the version did not release.
- "Kaasumela" - Kamal Haasan, Udit Narayan
- "Laila Laila" - Hariharan, Bhavatharini
- "Madonna Paadala Nee" - Kamal Haasan
- "Thakida Thathom Annachi" - Karthik Raja
- "Saravana Bhava" - Kamal Haasan, Karthik Raja, Sripriya, Sujatha
- "Anaconda" - Kamal Haasan, Bhavatharini
- "Anaconda II" - Hariharan, Bhavatharini
The film was remade in Hindi as Housefull.
- "Kaathala Kathala (Kaathala Kaathala) 2017 New Released Full Hindi Dubbed Movie". YouTube.
- "Strike Page". Indolink.com. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "December Vambugall". Indolink.com. 18 October 1997. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Tamil Movie News: March edition". Indolink.com. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "National : `An intelligent top star'". The Hindu. 18 April 2004. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Bollywood battles cable piracy as menace causes huge losses, producers fight back". India Today. 27 July 1998. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Kaathala Kaathala: Movie Review". Indolink.com. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- Share on Twitter (11 May 2010). "Housefull, a remake of Kaathala Kaathala? - Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Madras High Court stays Housefull". Sify.com. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Kadhala Kadhala Tamil Movie Songs Download & Listen To Music By Karthik Raja — Listen High Quality mp3 Kadhala Kadhala — Songs Free @". Starmusiq.com. 14 April 1998. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- Raaga.com. "Kadhala Kadhala, Kadhala Kadhala Songs, Download Kadhala Kadhala songs by Karthik Raja. Raaga.com Tamil Songs". Play.raaga.com. Retrieved 17 July 2016.