Between 1976 and 2001, Zraly held the position of wine director for the Windows on the World restaurant, on the top floors of New York's 1 WTC World Trade Center, America's top-grossing restaurant. Zraly was hired by Joe Baum whilst a 25-year-old wine salesman and self-educated oenophile with a bachelor's degree in education from State University of New York at New Paltz, and is since credited with introducing California wine to the American public, as well as helping to pioneer the use of progressive markup on wine in US restaurants. After the collapse of the World Trade Center in the September 11 attacks, the school relocated to the New York Marriott Marquis.
Zraly's book Windows on the World Complete Wine Course with its annual updates, is among America's best-selling wine books selling over 3 million copies worldwide. Kevin Zraly's American Wine Guide (2006) is the first book that deals comprehensively with all 50 states as modern wine-producing states. Kevin's latest book, The Ultimate Wine Companion, was released in November 2010.
Awards and honors
- Goldberg, Howard G., Decanter.com (September 17, 2001). "Windows on the World: a tribute".
- Patronite, Rob & Raisfield, Robin, New York Magazine (March 21, 2005). "The Grape Debate".CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Kevin Zraly bio eRobertParker.com
- Witchel, Alex, The New York Times (September 25, 2009). "In a Season of Memory, a Toast to What Endures".
- Goldberg, Howard G., Decanter.com (January 29, 2008). "New Windows on the World planned for Freedom Tower".
- Goldberg, Howard G., Decanter.com (May 24, 2006). "Zraly rates all 50 wine-producing states".
- Steinberger, Mike, Slate (October 31, 2008). "Good News About the Recession!".
- Lechmere, Adam, Decanter.com (September 25, 2001). "Windows on the World Wine School to continue".
- Robinson, Jancis, jancisrobinson.com. "associations and courses".
- eRobertParker.com Wine Certification Program
- Daily News. New York https://web.archive.org/web/20110513091159/http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/eats/2011/05/10/2011-05-10_james_beard_foundation_awards_recognize_culinary_excellence_gabrielle_hamilton_t.html. Archived from the original on May 13, 2011. Missing or empty