List of English inventors and designers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of English inventors)
This is a list of English inventors and designers.
- Roma Agrawal, structural engineer who contributed to the design of The Shard building in London.
- Joseph Aspdin (1788–1855), Portland cement.
- Roger Bacon (1214–1292), magnifying glass.
- Edward Barber (1969– ), London 2012 Olympic Torch.
- Julia Barfield (1952– ), architect who contributed to the design of the London Eye and the i360 observation tower in Brighton, England.
- Trevor Baylis (1937– ), wind-up radio.
- Tim Berners-Lee (1955– ), World Wide Web.
- John Bentley (1940– ), Internet on Television.
- Margaret Calvert (1936– ), graphic designer who designed many of the road signs used throughout the United Kingdom.
- George Cayley (1773–1854), man-carrying glider, tension spoke wheels, hot air engine, continuous track "universal railway" vehicle propulsion system.
- Terence Conran (1931– ), designer.
- David Constantine, designer of wheelchairs for sports and rugged terrain in the developing world.
- Rick Dickinson, designer of early computers, the touch-sensitive keyboard, as well as the rubber keyboard of the ZX Spectrum.
- Michael Faraday (1791–1867), electric transformer.
- John Ambrose Fleming (1848–1945), vacuum diode.
- Tommy Flowers (1905–1998), Colossus computer, an early electronic computer.
- William Friese-Greene (1855–1921), cinematography.
- Jonathan Ive (1967– ), Chief Design Officer of Apple Inc. and designer of many of Apple's products, including the MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, Apple Watch and iOS.
- Jock Kinneir (1917–1994), graphic designer who designed many of the road signs used throughout the United Kingdom.
- George William Manby (1765–1854), fire extinguisher.
- David Marks, architect who contributed to the design of the London Eye and the i360 observation tower in Brighton, England.
- Alexander Parkes (1831–1890), celluloid.
- Stephen Perry, rubber band.
- Joseph Priestley (1733–1804), soda water.
- Barnes Wallis (1887–1979), bouncing bomb.
- Edward Weston (1850–1936), Weston cell.
- Frank Whittle (1907–1996), co-inventor of the jet engine.
- Arthur Wynne (1862–1945), inventor of crossword puzzle.
- List of British innovations and discoveries
- List of Cornish engineers and inventors
- List of Cornish scientists
- List of English inventions and discoveries
- "From India to London Bridge: How the UK's rising engineering star Roma Agrawal helped build The Shard". The Telegraph. 4 July 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Couch potatoes armed with Viewcall can surf the Web through the tube". InfoWorld. 18 December 1995. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Our story". Motivation. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- Smiles, Samuel (2015). Men of Invention and Industry - English Inventors. Read Books Ltd. ISBN 1473371198.
- The Brits Who Designed the Modern World Artsnight - Series 4: 7, BBC Two