List of University of New England (Australia) people
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This is a list of University of New England (Australia) people, including a number of notable alumni and faculty members of the University of New England.
- Don Aitkin, AO, professor of politics at Macquarie University (1971–79) and the Australian National University (1980-1988); Vice-Chancellor of the University of Canberra (1991-2002)
- Max Hartwell (1921-2009), professor of economic history at the University of New South Wales (1950–56); reader in economic and social history at the University of Oxford; professorial fellow of Nuffield College Oxford (1956–77) (Emeritus 1977); was amongst the first intake of students in 1938 at the New England University College and the first of his cohort to become a professor
- Keith Leopold (1920-1999), professor of German at the University of Queensland (1964); was amongst the first intake of students in 1938 at the New England University College
- John Quiggin, Australian Research Council Federation Fellow in economics and political science
- Douglas Daft, former global CEO of Coca-Cola
- Canning Fok Kin-ning, group managing director of Hutchison Whampoa and Chairman of Hongkong Electric Holdings
- Don Walker, musician, notably with Cold Chisel
- Natalie Bennett, leader of the Green Party of England and Wales
- Dean Brown, former Premier of South Australia
- David Elliott, the current Member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly
- Barnaby Joyce, current Member of the Australian Parliament for New England
- John Kerin, former Member of the Australian Parliament and Federal minister (Primary Industries, Energy, Transport and Communication, Trade and Overseas Development, Treasurer)
- Donald Page, current Member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly and grandson of Sir Earle Page, founding Chancellor of UNE
- Tony Windsor, former Member of the Australian Parliament for New England
- Jock R. Anderson, professor and agricultural economist at the World Bank
- Bernie Fraser, former governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia
Literature, writing and poetry
- Geoffrey Edelsten, businessman and entrepreneur
- Dame Bridget Ogilvie, medical scientist
- Suzy Balogh, 2004 Olympic gold medal shooter
- Katherine Calder, 2010 Winter Olympics cross-country skier
- Roy Masters, AM, sports journalist and former rugby league football coach
- Kathleen Partridge, 1988 Olympic gold medal field hockey; 1992 Olympics (goalkeeper)
- Damian Smith, member of the Australia national rugby union team, Wallaby #707
|1||Sir Earle Page, KCMG, QC||1954 – 1960|||
|2||Phillip Wright, CMG||1960 – 1970|||
|2||Sir Frank Kitto, AC, KBE, QC||1970 – 1981|
|3||Rob Robertson-Cuninghame||1981 – 1993|||
|4||Pat O'Shane||1994 – 2003|||
|5||John Cassidy||2004 – 2008|||
|6||Richard Torbay||2008 – 2013|||
|7||John Watkins||2013 – 2014|||
|8||James Harris||2014 – present|||
- Sir Robert Madgwick (1954–1966)
- Sir Zelman Cowen (1966–1970)
- Alec Lazenby (1970–1977)
- Ronald Gates (1977–1985)
- Lawrence W Nicol (1985–1988)
- Don McNicol (1988–1990)
- Robert HT Smith (1990–1994)
- Bruce Thom (1994–1996)
- Ingrid Moses (1997–2006)
- Alan Pettigrew (2006–2010)
- James Barber (2010-2014)
- Annabelle Duncan (current)
Further information: University of New England faculty
- "Earle Page, Minister for Health 1949–56". Australia's Prime Ministers. National Archives of Australia. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- Oppenheimer, Jillian (2002). "Wright, Phillip Arundell (1889–1970)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. National Centre of Biography, Australian National University. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "UNE Chancellor farewells 'giant of a man'". Armidale Express. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Governance". University of New England.
- Hare, Julie; Lane, Beranrd (8 July 2014). "Second UNE chancellor to face corruption watchdog". The Australian. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "Richard Torbay, James Harris honoured by UNE". UNE News & Events. University of New England. 6 October 2007. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Lane, Bernard (10 November 2008). "Richard Torbay named new UNE chancellor". The Australian.
- "John Watkins new UNE chancellor". Armidale Express. Fairfax Regional Media. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "New England grazier James Harris named as UNE's new Chancellor". University of New England. 20 November 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- UNE - Governance