List of University of New England (Australia) people
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015)|
The University of New England has a number of notable alumni and faculty members.
- Don Aitkin, AO, a professor of politics at Macquarie University (1971–79); the Australian National University (1980-1988); and the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Canberra (1991-2002)
- Max Hartwell (1921-2009), a professor of economic history at the University of New South Wales (1950–56); a reader in economic and social history at the University of Oxford; and a professorial fellow of Nuffield College Oxford (1956–77) (Emeritus 1977). Hartwell was amongst the first intake of students in 1938 at the New England University College and the first of his cohort to become a professor
- Keith Leopold (1920-1999), a professor of German at the University of Queensland (1964). Leopold was amongst the first intake of students in 1938 at the New England University College.
- John Quiggin, an Australian Research Council Federation Fellow in economics and political science
- Douglas Daft, a former global CEO, of Coca-Cola
- Canning Fok Kin-ning, a group managing director of Hutchison Whampoa and Chairman of Hongkong Electric Holdings
- Don Walker, a musician, notably with Cold Chisel
- Natalie Bennett, the leader of the Green Party of England and Wales
- Dean Brown, a former Premier of South Australia
- David Elliott, the current Member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly
- Barnaby Joyce, the current Member of the Australian Parliament for New England
- John Kerin, a former Member of the Australian Parliament and Federal minister (Primary Industries; Energy; Transport and Communication; Trade and Overseas Development; Treasurer)
- Donald Page, the current Member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly and grandson of Sir Earle Page, the founding Chancellor of UNE
- Tony Windsor, a former Member of the Australian Parliament for New England
- Jock R. Anderson, a professor and agricultural economist at the World Bank
- Bernie Fraser, a former governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia
Literature, writing and poetry
- Geoffrey Edelsten, an Australian businessman and entrepreneur
- Dame Bridget Ogilvie, a medical scientist
- Suzy Balogh, 2004 Olympic gold medal shooter
- Katherine Calder, 2010 Winter Olympic cross-country skier
- Fletcher Dyson, a member of the Australia national rugby union team, Wallaby #758
- Peter Horton, a member of the Australia national rugby union team, Wallaby #569
- Roy Masters, AM, an Australian sports journalist and former rugby league football coach
- Kathleen Partridge, 1988 Olympic gold medal field hockey; 1992 Olympics, (goal keeper)
- Damian Smith, a member of the Australia national rugby union team, Wallaby #707
- John Cassidy, 2004 – 2008
- James Harris, 2014 – present
- Sir Frank Kitto, AC, KBE, QC, 1970 – 1981
- Pat O'Shane, AM, 1994 – 2003
- Sir Earle Page, KCMG, QC, 1954 – 1960
- Rob Robertson-Cuninghame, 1981 – 1993
- The Hon. Richard Torbay, 2008 – 2013
- The Hon. John Watkins, 2013 – 2014
- Dr Phillip Wright, CMG, 1960 – 1970
- Professor James Barber (2010-2014)
- Sir Zelman Cowen (1966–1970)
- Professor Annabelle Duncan (current)
- Professor Ronald Gates (1977–1985)
- Professor Alec Lazenby (1970–1977)
- Professor Don McNicol (1988–1990)
- Sir Robert Madgwick (1954–1966)
- Professor Ingrid Moses (1997–2006)
- Professor Lawrence W Nicol (1985–1988)
- Professor Alan Pettigrew (2006–2010)
- Professor Robert HT Smith (1990–1994)
- Professor Bruce Thom (1994–1996)
Further information: University of New England faculty
- Hare, Julie; Lane, Beranrd (8 July 2014). "Second UNE chancellor to face corruption watchdog". The Australian. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "New England grazier James Harris named as UNE's new Chancellor". University of New England. 20 November 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Governance". University of New England.
- "Earle Page, Minister for Health 1949–56". Australia's Prime Ministers. National Archives of Australia. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "UNE Chancellor farewells 'giant of a man'". Armidale Express. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Richard Torbay, James Harris honoured by UNE". UNE News & Events. University of New England. 6 October 2007. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Lane, Bernard (10 November 2008). "Richard Torbay named new UNE chancellor". The Australian.
- "John Watkins new UNE chancellor". Armidale Express. Fairfax Regional Media. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Oppenheimer, Jillian (2002). "Wright, Phillip Arundell (1889–1970)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. National Centre of Biography, Australian National University. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- UNE - Governance