List of the first LGBTI holders of political offices in Australia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of the first LGBT holders of political offices in Australia)
Current federal openly-LGBTI parliamentarians
- Penny Wong, South Australian Labor Senator since 2002
- Louise Pratt, Western Australian Labor Senator from 2008-2014 and since 2016.
- Dean Smith, Western Australian Liberal Senator since 2012
- Janet Rice, Victorian Greens Senator since 2014
- Trent Zimmerman, New South Wales Liberal MP since 2015.
- Trevor Evans, Queensland LNP MP since 2016.
- Julian Hill, Victorian Labor MP since 2016.
- Tim Wilson, Victorian Liberal MP since 2016.
- Member: Bob Brown, Tasmanian Greens Senator from 1996 to 2012.
- Female member: Penny Wong, South Australian Labor Senator from 2002.
- Government cabinet member: Penny Wong, South Australian Labor Senator who served in cabinet from 2007 to 2013.
- Liberal member: Dean Smith, Western Australian Liberal Senator from 2012.
- Lower house member: Trent Zimmerman, New South Wales Liberal MP from 2015.
- Both major party candidates in a lower house contest openly gay: the Division of Brisbane at the 2016 federal election.
States and territories
- Tasmania: Bob Brown (Independent Green) – 1983
- New South Wales:
- Western Australia:
- Victoria: Andrew Olexander (Liberal) – 1999
- South Australia: Ian Hunter (Labor) – 2006
- Australian Capital Territory: Andrew Barr (Labor) – 2006
- Government minister: Andrew Barr (Labor) – 2006
- Northern Territory: Chansey Paech - 2016
Heads of government
Mayor or deputy mayor
New South Wales
- Bruce Notley-Smith – 2004
- Brian McGahen, Bill Hunt and Craig Johnston – 1984
- Wagga Wagga
- Ray Goodlass – 2011
- Max Pearce – 1983 (first LGBTI candidate elected to public office in NSW)