Los Angeles College of Music
|Los Angeles College of Music|
|Type||private, for-profit music school|
|President||C. Thomas Aylesbury|
|Location||Pasadena, California, United States|
Los Angeles College of Music (abbreviated LACM, formerly named LAMA College for Music Professionals) is a private, for-profit music school in Pasadena, in Los Angeles County, California. Since 2009[update], it has been accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, and offers six-quarter Associate of Arts degrees in music performance (drums, guitar, bass, brass and woodwinds or voice) and in music production, songwriting and composing for visual media; the A.A. degrees are classed as "professional." In 2014, the school announced NASM-accredited twelve-quarter Bachelor of Music (B.M.) degrees in music performance (drums, guitar, bass, brass and woodwinds or voice) and in music production. Degrees are not transferable to other institutions outside of NASM.
The school has about 150 students. Teachers can give personal attention to each student.[dead link] More than 1000 students have graduated from the school, about half of them from outside the United States;[dead link] the average age at graduation is twenty years old.
The school was co-founded in 1996 as LA Music Academy by Tom Aylesbury who also became President in 2004. Original department Chairs included Frank Gambale (guitar), Dave Carpenter (bass) and co-chairs Joe Porcaro and Ralph Humphrey (drums). The vocal department was established by Kevyn Lettau in 1998. Tierney Sutton took over as Chair in 2008. The school changed its name in November 2012 to LAMA College for Music Professionals, and in 2014 to Los Angeles College of Music.
The school runs one-week summer music courses for children aged 10 or over, with workshops, lessons, clinics and concerts. In partnership with DrumChannel and Guitar Center, it also runs an intensive five-day course for drummers, with clinics, music workshops, instruction, autograph sessions, a musicians' roundtable and a visit to Drum Workshop in Oxnard, CA. Instructors have included Alex Acuña, Peter Erskine, JR Robinson, Terry Bozzio, Efrain Toro and Joe Porcaro.
Past faculty members at the school include these: Frank Gambale, Jean Marc Belkadi, Gary Hoey and Jerry Donahue, guitar; Sherman Ferguson, John Robinson and Emil Richards, drums; Dave Carpenter, Alphonso Johnson, Guy Erez and Bunny Brunel, bass; and Kevyn Lettau, Debi Nova and Tim "Ripper" Owens, vocal.[third-party source needed]
The current faculty includes Joe Porcaro, drums; Tim Landers and Philip Bynoe, bass; Tierney Sutton, Dorian Holley and Sara Leib, voice, Andrew Murdock, music production; and Art Alexakis, songwriting.
Master class instructors have included these: Peter Bernstein, Dean Brown and Mike Stern, guitar; and Kristin Korb, Janek Gwizdala and Alain Caron, bass. Artists in residence at the school have included Abe Laboriel, bass, and Airto Moreira, drums.[third-party source needed] Many notable musicians have performed clinics at the school.
Notable alumni include these:
- Jean Dolabella: Sepultura
- Tal Wilkenfeld: Jeff Beck, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Krantz, Vinnie Colaiuta, Lee Ritenour, Steve Lukather, Jimmy Page, Guthrie Govan
- Shaun Huberts: Tegan & Sara
- Debi Nova: Solo Artist, The Black Eyed Peas, Ricky Martin
- Crosby Loggins: (Solo Artist, Winner of MTV's Rock The Cradle)
- Mark Salling: Glee
- "Los Angeles College of Music". National Association of Schools of Music. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "NASM Accredited Institutional Members". Retrieved Nov 25, 2014.
- [s.n.] (July 23, 2009). "LA Music Academy To Offer Associates Degrees in Music Performance". Mix Magazine. p. 1. Retrieved May 2014.
- "LA Music Academy Scholarship Opportunities". Vintage Guitar Magazine (Vintage Guitar, Inc.). March 27, 2007. p. 1. Retrieved July 29, 2009.
- Mills, Michelle (November 3, 2007). "Hitting All The Right Notes". Pasadena Star News. Retrieved November 3, 2007.
- "Tom Aylesbury". Los Angeles College of Music. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Appice, Carmine (2010). Drums for Everyone: A Step-by-Step Guide to Equipment, Beats, and Basics. Guilford, CT: Knack. ISBN 9781599217772.
- Kelman, John (June 2, 2009). "L.A. Music Academy Summer Music Camp Kicks Off June 22". All About Jazz Magazine (All About Jazz Magazine). Archived from the original on October 22, 2012. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Liffengren, Jordan (June 11, 2010). "Drummer’s Reality Camp: A Summertime Intensive work=Drum! Magazine". Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Faculty and Guest Clinicians". Los Angeles College of Music. Retrieved May 15, 2014.