|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Single by Minnie Riperton|
|from the album Perfect Angel|
|B-side||"The Edge of a Dream"|
|Released||January 13, 1975|
|Length||3:21 (single version)
3:46 (album version)
|Producer(s)||Stevie Wonder and Richard Rudolph (as Scorbu Productions)|
|Minnie Riperton singles chronology|
"Lovin' You" is a 1975 hit single originally performed by American singer Minnie Riperton. The song became a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 on April 5, 1975. Additionally, it reached #2 in the UK, and #3 on the R&B chart in the U.S. Billboard ranked it as the No. 13 song for 1975. It is especially noteworthy for Riperton singing in the very high whistle register in the bridge of the song. It is also noteworthy for the sound of the chirping songbirds that are heard throughout the song.
It was the fourth single from the album Perfect Angel (1974). As with the rest of the album, the keyboard backing is played by Stevie Wonder (credited as "El Toro Negro", Spanish for the black bull, as Wonder is a Taurus.).
"Lovin' You" was among the first of several songs to top the U.S. pop chart without the help of a percussion instrument. Prior examples of percussion-less Number Ones were Jim Croce – "Time in a Bottle" (1973), The Beatles – "Yesterday" (1965), and on the UK Singles Chart, The Beatles – "Eleanor Rigby" (1966).
According to the liner notes from Riperton's compilation CD Petals, the melody for "Lovin' You" was created as a distraction for her daughter (Maya Rudolph) when she was a baby so that Minnie and her husband Richard could hang out. Maya was in the studio with her mother on the day the song was recorded and Riperton can be heard singing her daughter's name at the end of the song, but only in the unedited or album version of the song. The song fades out early in the single edit, because the disc jockeys felt that the repeated "Maya" was being overdone and too misunderstood, thinking that it was a Mayan chant.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||250,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
"Lady Marmalade" by Labelle
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
April 5, 1975 (one week)
"Philadelphia Freedom" by Elton John
|Single by Shanice|
|from the album Inner Child|
|Released||August 11, 1992|
|Format||CD single, Cassette single|
|Genre||R&B, soul, quiet storm|
|Producer(s)||Narada Michael Walden for Perfection Light Productions|
|Shanice singles chronology|
Shanice's cover of the song was released in the summer of 1992 months after the success of her hit "I Love Your Smile". It only achieved minor success on the R&B chart peaking at #59; it also peaked at #54 on the UK chart. The music video for the song is set on a beach. In 2005, she re-recorded the song again for her 2006 album Every Woman Dreams.
- Single Version
- I Love Your Smile (Driza Bone Single Remix)
- I Love Your Smile (Driza Bone Club Remix)
|US Billboard Hot R&B Singles||59|
|UK Singles Chart||54|
- Drums and programming by Narada Michael Walden
- Keyboards and programming by Louis Biancaniello
- Produced by Narada Michael Walden for Perfection Light Productions
- Eskow, Gary (February 1, 2008). "Classic Tracks: Minnie Riperton's "Lovin' You"". Mix. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- "Ultratop.be – Minnie Riperton – Lovin' You" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Minnie Riperton – Lovin' You" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Minnie Riperton – Lovin' You". Top 40 Singles.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 50 | Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Steffen Hung. "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "British single certifications – Minnie Riperton – Loving You". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Loving You in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American single certifications – Riperton, Minnie – Lovin' You". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH