Lower Moreland Township School District
|Lower Moreland Township School District|
|2551 Murray Avenue
Huntingdon Valley, PA, (Montgomery County) 19006
|School district||Lower Moreland Township School District|
|Oversight||Pennsylvania Department of Education|
|Superintendent||Dr. Marykay Feeley|
|Student to teacher ratio||12:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
|Slogan||"Expanding horizons... individualizing excellence"|
|Athletics||PIAA District I AA|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
The Lower Moreland Township School District is a public school district in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The school district serves the Township of Lower Moreland, a Philadelphia suburb of about 11,000 people. There are three schools: Pine Road School (elementary school), Murray Avenue School (middle school), and Lower Moreland High School.
- Superintendent: Marykay Feeley
- Assistant Superintendent: Maryjane Richmond
- Director of Special Education: Frank Giordano
- Business Manager: Mark McGuinn
- Director of Technology: Sue Casagrand
- Director of Maintenance and Operations: Mark Sufleta
Lower Moreland High School
Principal: Julien Drennan, Assistant Principal and Athletic Director: Mark Mayson
- School mascot: Lion
- School rival: Various – Springfield Township, Holy Ghost Prep, New Hope-Solebury, Bristol
The Lower Moreland High School houses approximately 750 students in grades 9 through 12.
Lower Moreland High School THON is a non-profit organization where the students of Lower Moreland High School come together to raise money for the four diamonds fund, a fund that sponsors a four diamond family who has a child fighting cancer, so they never have to see a bill in the child's' medical treatment. The LMHS THON is a smaller version of the dance marathon at Penn State. Most of the money comes from students raising it or companies that have donated it. Lower Moreland High School THON started in 2008. THON lasts for 12 hours or more, (since it is consistently changing and improving) where the students constantly are standing and are kept occupied by games and competitions so that the time goes by quickly. In 2010 they raised $47,553.28.
The Lower Moreland Music High School band program has grown and flourished under the direction of Erin Stroup. Four different bands exist at Lower Moreland High School.
- Concert Band: Concert band generally consists of all 9th grade students, and competes separately from the Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble.
- Symphonic Band: Under the conduction of Erin Stroup, the Symphonic Band consists of all band students in grade 10 through 12.
- Wind Ensemble: The Lower Moreland Wind Ensemble is a tryout group that plays grade 5 and 6 literature.
- Jazz Ensemble: The Lower Moreland Jazz Ensemble is a tryout ensemble at LMHS. In 2011, the LMHS Jazz Ensemble participated in the Disney Honors Festival, where they placed 2nd overall. In 2012, the LMHS Jazz Ensemble participated in the Swing Central Jazz Festival, in Savannah, Georgia, and worked with renowned musicians such as Wycliffe Gordon, Rodney Whitaker, Sean Jones, Herlin Riley, Jeff Clayton, and more. The LMHS Jazz Ensemble has worked with other renowned musicians such as Jeff Coffin, Tom "Bones" Malone, Felix Pastorius, and many more. For the second year in a row,[when?] the Jazz Ensemble has been selected to compete in the 2013 Swing Central Jazz Festival. They will travel to Savannah, Georgia, in late March to participate in workshops and clinics. There is only one Jazz Ensemble at the high school, and it is directed by Stroup.
The baseball team has never won a league title, nor have they won a district title yet. They have produced some notable players such as: Shane Barrett-Class of 2007-Shippensburg University, Gary Mitchell-Class of 2007-Minor Leaguer for LA Angels, Jerry Dougherty-Class of 2008-LaSalle University, Dan Cataline-Class of 2008-Philadelphia University, Dave Byck-Class of 2008-West Chester University, and Jake Madnick-Class of 2011-Philadelphia University.
Both boys' and girls' teams have been successful recent years; Boys' won the District One AA title three times (2004–05, 2006–07, 2007–08) and a Bicentennial Athletic League Title (2011–12). The boys' team was coached by John Conrad from 2004 to 2011, but he accepted a job at North Penn High School in Lansdale, Pennsylvania. Seth Baron is now[when?] the coach and in his first year won the boys’ team first league title in school history, which resulted in the winning of Coach of the Year. The boys' all-time leading scorer is Louis Sarris-Grau(class of 2008). He played at McDaniel College in Westminster, Maryland.
The girls’ team won the Bicentennial Athletic League title four straight years (2006–2009). They have yet to win a District title. The girls’ all-time leading scorer is Heather Weindorfer(class of 1993). She scored over 2,300 points and had over 1,500 rebounds. Weindorfer continue her career at the University of Hartford where she is the record-holder of career points, rebounds and foul shots made. She finished with 1,780 points, 855 rebounds and 568 foul shots made.
Led by long-time head coach Dick Rapson, the cross-country team has always been competitive winning numerous district and league titles.
Head coach Mark Mayson and assistant coach Timothy Reilly have coached for Lower Moreland going on 30 years. They won three straight Bicentennial Athletic League titles (2008-10) And two district titles (08 & 09). The Lions have made three appearances in the state playoffs in the past decade, losing the first round game ever time. Some notable teams include: 2006 team (7-4) v. Lansdale Catholic lost 21-28 at Wissahickon High School, Captains-Shane Barrett, Tom Burke, Kiki Javardian, Gary Mitchell, Pat McGarry and Anthony Trentalange; 2008 team (8-3) v. Ben Franklin lost 6-20 at Lower Moreland High School, Captains-Mike Clauss, Frank McGarry, Brendan Norton and Rob Schulgen; 2009 team (7-4) v. Bok Tech lost 0-42 at South Philadelphia Super Site, Captains-Ryan O'Connell, Steve Turetsky, Nick Grimaldi and Tyler Saitta. The greatest player to come from Lower Moreland was Dan Burke class of '77. Dan has been the only player at Lower Moreland to be named to the First Team All State as a safety and second team All State at running back and played in the Big-33 game at Hershey, Pa. Dan accepted a football scholarship to Villanova University. Dan led Villanova many times in tackles. Dan senior year he was Named Villanova's Defensive captain. This Villanova defense included Hall of Fame inductee Howie Long. Dan also finished second at states in wrestling as a senior, losing only one regular season match in his junior and senior years combined.
In 2007 and again in 2008, the boys' tennis team won the PIAA (AA) state championship. These were the first and second team state championships in the history of Lower Moreland High School athletics. They were led by coaches Jeanette Hausman and Seth Baron and singles players Taylor Cohen, Samuel Harmatz, and Drew Hoffmann. Some notable championships include: 2006: Taylor Cohen/Samuel Harmatz - state doubles champions, 2007: state team champions; Taylor Cohen - state singles champion, 2008: state team champions; Taylor Cohen - state singles champion; Samuel Harmatz/Drew Hoffmann - state doubles champions
Murray Avenue School
Principal: Ms. Jennifer Dilks, Assistant Principal: Mr. Michael Bourdreau
The Murray Avenue School houses students in grades 6 through 8. At the end of the 2009–2010 school year, upon the retirement of Assistant Principal Mr. Ewart, the Lower Moreland Township School District hired Charles Hurst as their assistant principal. At the beginning of the 2010–2011 school year, Hurst was arrested on charges of corruption of a minor and possession of a controlled substance and was placed on administrative leave.
Pine Road School
Principal: Mr. Brian Swank, Assistant Principal: Mrs. Sharon Franciosa
The Pine Road School houses students in grades Kindergarten through 5. The fourth and fifth grades were transferred from the crowded Murray Avenue School to the Pine Road School at the end beginning of the 2010–2011 school year after the completion of the construction of a new wing.
Notable alumni and staff
- Valerie Plame, CIA operative and wife of U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson whose identity was released by White House officials.
- Jill Kelley, Lebanese-American socialite, who previously served as Honorary Consul for the Republic of Korea, and was formerly designated as Honorary Ambassador to the U.S. Central Command Coalition. She is currently a privacy and civil liberties Advocate.
- William "Bill" Pezza, former Lower Moreland High School history teacher, author and self-publisher of the book Anna's Boys
- Robert Wall, Class of 1967, Chairman Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rose Medical Center
- Katie Walder is an American actress and Lower Moreland alumna. Walder is known for her roles in Gilmore Girls, How I Met you Mother, and Supernatural. She has also guest-starred in several other television shows such as New Girl and The Good Wife.