Mockups of MSBS weapons.
|Place of origin||Poland|
|Used by||Polish army,soon|
|Manufacturer||Łucznik Arms Factory|
|Weight||3.7 kg (8.2 lb) normal, 3.4 kg (7.5 lb) bullpup|
|Length||980 mm (39 in) normal, 720 mm (28 in) bullpup, folding stock extended|
|Action||Gas-operated short stroke, rotating bolt|
|Rate of fire||700–750 rounds/min|
|Feed system||30-round detachable STANAG magazine|
MSBS-5,56 Radon (short for Modułowy System Broni Strzeleckiej kalibru 5,56 mm - Radon or English: Modular Firearm System 5.56mm Calibre - Radon) is an assault rifle currently under development as a future service rifle of the Polish Army. There are two basic variants currently being developed, based on a common upper receiver: a bullpup version and a standard version with folding, retractable stock. Thanks to a variety of modules, both variants can be easily transformed into a carbine, sniper rifle or squad light machine gun. The rifle will be chambered for standard 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition, but a 7.62×51mm NATO version will also be considered.
Currently the standard issue service rifles of the Polish armed forces are a variety of kbs wz.96 Beryl-based rifles, all of them direct descendants of the kbk AKM (a modernized variant of the AK-47 Kalashnikov), developed since the 1940s. However, that design is considered both outdated by modern standards and impossible to improve further. Because of that, work on a completely new family of assault rifles was started in Poland.
The rifle has been in development since 2007 by the WAT (Military Academy of Technology) in Warsaw in cooperation with the arms manufacturer FB Radom. The weapon is said to be operating on completely distinct internal mechanics. No further information has been disclosed however. The external design was conceived by a separate team (Adam Gawron, Bartosz Stefaniak, Grzegorz Misiołek, Maciej Sajdak) working alongside mechanical engineers.
For economical reasons the main advantage of the modular weapon system is the simplified logistics because of the interchangeable parts between weapon types of the same family. Fewer parts need to be stored or if necessary, a soldier can sacrifice for example one standard assault rifle to repair a light machine gun.
- (Polish) Nowa broń dla polskiej armii in: Gazeta Wyborcza, 15 December 2009
- (Polish) Pierwszy pokaz MSBS-5,56 in: Altair, 12 December 2009
- (Polish) Nowa polska broń – MSBS-5,56 in: Altair, 15 December 2009
- (Polish) MSBS-5,56 już strzela in: Altair, 16 December 2009
- (Polish) Nowy MSBS-5,56 in: Altair, 09 August 2010
- (Polish) MSBS-5,56 w nowej szacie in: Altair, 05 October 2010
- (Polish) Giwera przyszłości in: Polska zbrojna, 30 December 2008
- (Polish) MSBS-5,56 w Pułtusku in: Altair, 04 June 2011
- "MSBS “Radon” Rifle: US Launch & Impressions". The Firearm Blog. 23 January 2015. Retrieved 7 August 2015.