MapR Company Logo
|Headquarters||San Jose, CA, United States of America|
Number of locations
|United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Sweden, Japan, Singapore, Korea, Australia, Singapore|
MapR is a San Jose, California-based enterprise software company that develops and sells Apache Hadoop-derived software. The company contributes to Apache Hadoop projects like HBase, Pig (programming language), Apache Hive, and Apache ZooKeeper. MapR's Apache Hadoop distribution claims to provide full data protection, no single points of failure, improved performance, and dramatic ease of use advantages. MapR entered a technology licensing agreement with EMC Corporation on 25 May 2011, supporting an EMC-specific distribution of Apache Hadoop. MapR was selected by Amazon to provide an upgraded version of Amazon's Elastic Map Reduce (EMR) service. MapR has also been selected by Google as a technology partner. MapR was able to break the minute sort speed record on Google's compute platform.
MapR provides three versions of their product known as M3, M5 and M7. M3 is a free version of the M5 product with degraded availability features. M7 is like M5, but adds a purpose-built rewrite of HBase that implements the HBase API directly in the file-system layer.
In 2016, MapR launched an enhanced and integrated product called a "Converged Data Platform" which includes the MapR Streams, a pub-sub system, MapRDB, a complete no-sql document store and all the Hadoop ecosystem components integrated on the same distributed filesystem.
MapR is privately held with original funding of $9 million from Lightspeed Venture Partners and New Enterprise Associates since 2009. Key MapR executives come from Google, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Informatica, EMC Corporation and Veoh. MapR had an additional round of funding led by Redpoint in August, 2011. A C round was led by Mayfield Fund that also included Greenspring Associates as an investor. In June 2014, MapR closed a $110 million financing round that was led by Google Capital. Qualcomm Ventures also participated, along with existing investors Lightspeed Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, New Enterprise Associates and Redpoint Ventures.
MapR Converged Data Platform
The Converged Data Platform was released in early 2016 as version 5.1.0 and includes the following key components:
- MapR Filesystem Implements the HDFS API with a native C distributed read-write file system.
- MapR-DB Implements the HBase API but leverages all the advantages of the MapR-FS to make it more robust, faster and easier to manage.
- MapR-Streams Implements the Kafka API, but again leverages the MapR-FS to offer increased performance and reliability of streams.
- Amazon offers MapR's M3 and M5 editions as premium options on the Elastic MapReduce service next to a set of Apache Hadoop versions.
- Big Data Partnership partners with MapR as first Certified Training & SI partner in EMEA
- Google partnered with MapR in the launch of the Google Compute Engine.
- Cisco Systems announced support of MapR software on the Cisco Unified Computing System platform.
- Informatica Corporation
- Impetus Technologies
- Teradata Corporation
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Apache Software Foundation
- Big data
- Cloud computing
- Cloud infrastructure
- Database-centric architecture
- "Why MapR is Right to Give Back to Apache Hadoop". Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "Startup MapR Underpins EMC’s Hadoop Effort". Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "Amazon EMR with the MapR Distribution for Hadoop". Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Amazon Taps MapR for High Powered Elastic Map Reduce". Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "MapR Technologies Joins Google Cloud Platform Partner Program". Reuters. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- Metz, Cade. "Google Teams With Prodigal Son to Bust Data Sort Record". Wired. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "MapR Technologies Secures 20 million in Funding". Retrieved 19 Sep 2011.
- "MapR Makes Friends of Hadoop". Retrieved 19 Sep 2011.
- Hesseldahl, Arik. "MapR Lands $30 Million Series C Led by Mayfield Fund.". All Things D. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- Hesseldahl, Arik. "MapR Raises $110 Million in Round Led by Google Capital". http://recode.net. Revere Digital LLC. Retrieved 2 July 2014. External link in
- Gabrielle, Karol. "Google Capital Leads $110M Round in Big-Data Startup MapR". http://www.foxbusiness.com/. Fox News Network. Retrieved 2 July 2014. External link in
- "MapR Announces Certified Training with Big Data Partnership in EMEA".
- "Google Compute Engine Leverages Third Party Support".
- "Cisco UCS with MapR: Delivering Advanced Performance for Hadoop Workloads" (PDF). Cisco. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- Tavakoli-Shiraji, Ashoka (April 1, 2014). "Databricks and MapR Partner to Provide Enterprise Support for Spark". MapR. Retrieved September 28, 2014.