MapR Company Logo
|Founder||M.C Srivas, John Schroeder|
United States of America
Number of locations
|John Schroeder (CEO and Chairman of the Board)|
MC Srivas (co-founder and former CTO)
|Products||Converged Data Platform, Apache Hadoop Distribution|
MapR was a business software company headquartered in Santa Clara, California. MapR software provides access to a variety of data sources from a single computer cluster, including big data workloads such as Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark, a distributed file system, a multi-model database management system, and event stream processing, combining analytics in real-time with operational applications. Its technology runs on both commodity hardware and public cloud computing services. In August 2019, following financial difficulties, the technology and intellectual property of the company were sold to Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
MapR was privately held with original funding of $9 million from Lightspeed Venture Partners and New Enterprise Associates in 2009. MapR executives come from Google, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Informatica, EMC Corporation and Veoh. MapR had an additional round of funding led by Redpoint in August, 2011. A round in 2013 was led by Mayfield Fund that also included Greenspring Associates. In June 2014, MapR closed a $110 million financing round that was led by Google Capital. Qualcomm Ventures also participated, along with existing investors Lightspeed Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, New Enterprise Associates and Redpoint Ventures.
In May 2019, the company announced that it would shut down if it was unable to find additional funding.
MapR entered a technology licensing agreement with EMC Corporation on 2011, supporting an EMC-specific distribution of Apache Hadoop. MapR was selected by Amazon Web Services to provide an upgraded version of Amazon's Elastic MapReduce (EMR) service. MapR broke the minute sort speed record on Google's Compute platform.
- Apache Accumulo
- Apache Software Foundation
- Big data
- Database-centric architecture
- "MapR Blogs". Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Virginia Backaitis. "Why MapR Just Shook-Up Its Management". Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- The sun sets on the big-data era: HPE to acquire MapR’s assets
- "Hewlett Packard Enterprise Advances its Intelligent Data Platform with Acquisition of MapR's Business Assets". Business Wire. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "MapR Makes Friends of Hadoop". Retrieved 19 Sep 2011.
- Hesseldahl, Arik. "MapR Lands $30 Million Series C Led by Mayfield Fund". All Things D. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- Hesseldahl, Arik. "MapR Raises $110 Million in Round Led by Google Capital". recode.net. Revere Digital LLC. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Gabrielle, Karol. "Google Capital Leads $110M Round in Big-Data Startup MapR". foxbusiness.com. Fox News Network. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Paul Gillin (May 30, 2019). "Big-data bombshell: MapR may shut down as investor pulls out after 'extremely poor results'". Silicon Angle.
- Harris, Derrick (2011-06-01). "Why MapR is Right to Give Back to Apache Hadoop". GigaOM. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- Harris, Derrick (2011-05-25). "Startup MapR Underpins EMC's Hadoop Effort". GigaOM. Archived from the original on 22 August 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- Harris, Derrick (2012-06-13). "Amazon Taps MapR for High Powered Elastic Map Reduce". GigaOM. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- Metz, Cade. "Google Teams With Prodigal Son to Bust Data Sort Record". Wired. Retrieved 9 May 2013.